Colbert meets Papa Bear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pekka
    yeah, except colbert isn't self poking fun, because he isn't conservative. He assumes the role to copy O'Reilly, which is a funny show, or sad, depends if you live in this world or some other world.
    Agreed but even consies can laugh at it because it is self mockery. This distinguishes it from more harsher and mean spirited forms of humor.
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Lewis Black

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

sure, sure, absolutelyl, from that point of view (audience). I guess it's easier, even though in a way it's more cruel. Cruel, as in a guy assume the role of something and makes mockery of it and nothing else. That's what he does now. But then again easier, because he does it well enough, and even though cruel, it's not that mean spirited like you said so yeah, I'd agree with that.

I think the fun part is mostly aimed at O'Reilly though. The no spin zone.. because it's nothing BUT spin . So I'd say that's aimed more at the show than anything else.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I saw the show on youtube this morning and my hat is off to Colbert. He slammed O'Reilly over and over again.
          Last edited by Dinner; January 19, 2007, 12:10.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
            and my hate is off to Colbert. He slammed O'Reilly over and over again.
            Freudian

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe

Agreed but even consies can laugh at it because it is self mockery. This distinguishes it from more harsher and mean spirited forms of humor.
              Actually, I think Colbert is some of the harshest humour you can find in American popular culture.

Imitation is always the best vehicle for criticism, as well as being the most biting.

I think you're simply confused because it's funny, not strident.
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

I think you're simply confused because it's funny, not strident.
                Perhaps you've hit upon it. I do know the show strikes me as refreshingly different than the same old same old Daily Show/SNL update routine.

Comment

It takes a lot more talent to do irony well. That's why most "fake news" doesn't bother.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I like him. It's like being a racist and enjoying Archie Bunker...

Comment

Archie is king

good in Kelly's Heroes too

Comment

Oh yeah, I missed it, damn. I heard him advertising the show and it just slipped my mind. Guess I'll have to wait for a repeat when he takes a week off.

so who won?

Comment

Let's add some video.

Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Wow, I never knew the average age of the viewer for Bill O'Reilly's craptastic tv show is now 71 years old. It seems like most people have finally wised up and figured out what an unentertaining liar Bill is. You could never trust what he said but he used to be at least entertaining but now it's just rants about Mexicans, hate speech against France, hate speech against anyone to the left of Pat Roberts, etc... The guy is just boring.

it's hard to say that O'Reilly's audience is the future. Half of them would be lucky to make it past the decade.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

To be honest, I thought Colbert's interview of Dinesh D'Souza was far more funny, depressing, and WTF than his interactions with Papa Bear.

I mean... he got D'Souza to agree with pretty much everything Osama Bin Laden's been saying, and the guy just didn't... get it.
                              B♭3

Comment

Kind of a two-bit trick for the pat on own back middlebrow set. I'm sure you thought it was clever...

Comment

Working...
                                X