Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citizendium

Wikipedia and the Citizendium

How does the project differ from Wikipedia?

In several significant ways: expert involvement, the requirement of logging in and real names, and more. What will not change is that the project will still be an open/free content wiki. This is covered in detail in this section of "Toward a New Compendium of Knowledge."

Do you want to try to "steal" people from Wikipedia and divide the community?

That is not the aim. Wikipedia has already driven off no doubt thousands of would-be contributors, and there are thousands, if not millions, of people who never would think about contributing to Wikipedia in the first place, but who might be willing to give the Citizendium a go. We want to set up, not a replacement, but an alternative to Wikipedia, a responsible constitutional republic that makes a special place for experts and invites the general public to work shoulder-to-shoulder with them.

Are you attempting to shut Wikipedia down?

No. That makes up no part of our aim. We wish instead to leverage the fantastic resource that is Wikipedia and use it to create something better.

Aha! So you are trying to outdo Wikipedia, aren't you?

Well, of course. Why else would we be proposing a fork?

If you're not trying to shut Wikipedia down, then what relationship do you want with Wikipedia?

A mutually complementary one, in which we occupy different social niches, as it were. Those who want to work in a system committed to the maximum empowerment of amateurs should always be able to do so on Wikipedia. Those who, by contrast, want to work shoulder-to-shoulder in a bottom-up system with experts, in which the experts are able to settle content disputes, will soon have the option of doing so on the Citizendium. Furthermore, those who want the option of working anonymously and in a wild-and-woolly atmosphere in which rules are not necessarily enforced should always be able to do so on Wikipedia. Those who, by contrast, want to take personal, real-world responsibility for their efforts, and to work in a dynamic but rule-governed environment, will soon have the option of doing so on the Citizendium.

You could have done this a long time ago. Why now?

The full and frank story is very complex, and not ready to be told. Perhaps we should have done this a long time ago. But perhaps we were not fully justified in doing it until fairly recently. In particular, many of us think that Wikipedia's attempts to paper over its very public mini-scandals with minor changes have been weak. It is pretty clear to us that Wikipedia will probably never seriously attempt to solve what we, at least, regard as the central problems of the project. For further explanation, see "Toward a New Compendium of Knowledge."

I've heard lots of critism of Wiki and it's interesting to see an alternative. I've always found wiki fun to look at but never really swore by it's authentisity.
    Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

I only swear by its authenticity when it agrees with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
      I only swear by its authenticity when it agrees with me.

Mother Poly wouldn't have it any other way
      Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

I generally tend to trust it on non-controversial issues.

On controversial issues, I apply judgment and secondary referencing.

By applying these simple rules I've yet to be misled by it.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I thought this was some sort of compendium of Pekka quotes or something
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

That's some rather tortured Q&A. It's not difficult to read between the lines (and really, the whole implication of the project):

"What relationship do you want with Wikipedia?"

"We want to present authenticated facts and more scholarly opinion, and Wikipedia can exist for fools to reference and egomaniacs to contribute."
            "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
              I generally tend to trust it on non-controversial issues.

On controversial issues, I apply judgment and secondary referencing.

By applying these simple rules I've yet to be misled by it.
              Knowingly.

Though I tend to do the same thing.

Comment

Working...
              X