No announcement yet.

Time to Deploy the MJOLNIR armor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm... enough talking about the posters... discuss the TOPIC!
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
      I guess you've never read books before that with body armour. That's okay, comics are fun too...
      He very carefully left off "That I read". One might even say that was his intent
      It is the first work of fiction that popularized the concept, Asher.

FIRST
      FIRST
      FIRST

Incidentally, the book does a pretty good job of describing the armor as giving the MI the appearance of "gorillas" with the servos and what not, as well as they land in pods rather than parachutes.

As if it's impossible the illustration on the book cover would not exactly match the stuff on the inside, especially a book from the late '50s pulp scifi.

But as long as we're using book covers to make assertions...

Nope, no similarity at all.
      Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

I thought Starship Troopers basically invented the idea of *powered* armor. Body armor, obviously, has been around for milennia. This suit is not powered in the Heinlein sense (it doesn't boost strength, nor allow power-jumps, weighs thirty-odd pounds and is moved by human muscle alone), it just has a few gadgets built in. ST or Halo may have been inspirations, but in terms of function this thing is closer to the suit worn by Batman. The surface may bear a superficial resemblance to Halo, but since it doesn't have regenerating shields, a holographic chick who talks to you, or a weight of half a ton or more, I wouldn't call it a rip-off.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

See, it looks nothing like it. The pictures show the armor to be highly angular, Halo style, while in that picture of that awful novel it looks like he's wearing ribbed condoms.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Great idea if that thing can actually work against most guns. Even better if it can keep people alive and uninjured if their LAV hits a mine or eats an RPG.

I don't know if you would get troops wearing something like this all the time but it sounds like a great way to go into a hot zone
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

It would be even cooler if someone could invent a personalized force field. MIlitary and science fiction has them!!

Could you imagine sending one guy into the enemy nest and they spray him with bullets but he just keeps coming.
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

back to this armour, I am assuming that if this concept could ever work, it would just mean that the higher tech military industries would just develop more powerful weapons that would overwhelm the physical armour.

I find it difficult to think that any combination of plastics, kevlar, steel , whatever could ever defeat the available weapons. I just think that some totally NEW type of defensive system would be needed to accomplish that

Comment

Eh. Conservation of momentum defeats almost any armor. The attacker can more always more easily brace himself against recoil than the target can against the impact. And that's assuming you can't get something to penatrate the armor.

Comment

Well, yes, but assuming a more modern weapon can't be bought for under $100 like existing assault rifles, suits like this could be used to suppress a large-scale insurgency, unless it were really well funded.
                    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                    -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                      they won't even buy armor for the humvees, no way the U.S. would flip the bill for this one. Maybe the Canadians will.
                      Ah, but they started buying it after I sold my stock in a company that makes it
                      "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                      -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis
                        Well, yes, but assuming a more modern weapon can't be bought for under $100 like existing assault rifles, suits like this could be used to suppress a large-scale insurgency, unless it were really well funded.
                        Only to a limited extent. It sounds like it could laugh off Kalashnikov rounds, and it covers just about everything at risk from sniper fire ("Ow! My fingertips! I'm dying!"). But most of the casualties in Iraq are from IEDs. I don't think this is up to stopping those. Even if it could deflect the shrapnel, it couldn't keep a soldier from being crushed under the weight of his vehicle after the bomb sent them both flying. Physics/engineering geeks, feel free to correct me on this.
                        1011 1100
                        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

and it covers just about everything at risk from sniper fire ("Ow! My fingertips! I'm dying!")

A bullet to the head would still **** your neck up good.

Comment

The best armour - don't get shot

But still those suits look damn cool and would have a nice psychological factor to go with it as you display your technological advantage.
                            Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                              I'd hate to wear that thing in the desert. It's gonna need some kind of AC.
                              It does

Magical Full Plate +3 = AC -1

(old School nerdery )
                              Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe; January 18, 2007, 11:12.
                              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Elok

Only to a limited extent. It sounds like it could laugh off Kalashnikov rounds, and it covers just about everything at risk from sniper fire ("Ow! My fingertips! I'm dying!"). But most of the casualties in Iraq are from IEDs. I don't think this is up to stopping those. Even if it could deflect the shrapnel, it couldn't keep a soldier from being crushed under the weight of his vehicle after the bomb sent them both flying. Physics/engineering geeks, feel free to correct me on this.
                                I'ld be interested to see if it stops teflon coated rounds.
                                "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Working...
                                X