Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could the American Revolution have been Avoided?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could the American Revolution have been Avoided?

In 1763, at the end of the French & Indians War (a.k.a The 7-Years War), relations between Great Britain and its American colonies were at their high point. A dozen years later, shots were fired at Lexington and Concorde.

Could the whole mess have been avoided, and Benjamin Franklin's dream of an Anglo-American Empire have been realized?

Sure it could have. Open up the west to white settlers and land speculators. Don't tax the colonies that much. Bingo, the King reigns supreme.

Comment

Yeah...I was thinking about something like that myself.

Britain's problem is that it had a huge war debt. It's solution: We've never directly taxed the American colonialist before--much of our debt came from protecting them--so let's tax them.

Britain could have opened up the land between the Alleganies and the Mississippi, and sold it to land speculators. Plus, instead of forbidding foreign ships from trading in American ports (which was another source of aggrevation), allow it, but charge hefty duties.

Comment

Theoratically? Yes.

Realistically? No.

IMO the politicians in London never understood (except for a few Whigs like Edmund Burke), and probably never could of understood, the mood shift tiggered by the colonial disgust towards Quebec Act and the row over the various taxes imposed (and then mostly ended) to recoup the cost of the Seven Years War. The politicians thought we were being "ungrateful children," the fact that the row was over honest convictions seems to have went over most of thier heads.

When Parliament overreacted to the Boston Tea Party and related acts of civil disobediance by enacting the Intolerable Acts the fateful line was quickly crossed. Sides rapidly polarized. When Ben Franklin met with British parliamentarians in an effort to prevent the escalation of the conflict he was insulted and humilated by the parliamentarians, it is said that he went into that meeting British, and came out an American.

Comment

Yes, if you'd remembered your place like you should have.
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

A few weeks ago, I was talking to a Candian buddy of mine. He likes to "pulled people's tails" and, in line with this, drew exception to my use of the word "Tories." According to him, they weren't Tories but rather "loyal Americans."

So I ask which was the more loyal -- those who remained loyal to the King or those who remained loyal to the rights of Englishmen. He changed the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
              Yes, if you'd remembered your place like you should have.
              Give me liberty or give me death!

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                A few weeks ago, I was talking to a Candian buddy of mine. He likes to "pulled people's tails" and, in line with this, drew exception to my use of the word "Tories." According to him, they weren't Tories but rather "loyal Americans."

So I ask which was the more loyal -- those who remained loyal to the King or those who remained loyal to the rights of Englishmen. He changed the subject.
                The epithet of "tory" applied to those who refused to take part in the American Revolution is historically inaccurate. Though the tories were the strongest supporters of the King's rights, it is disingenuous to blithely assume that the whigs were in support of a people's right to rebel against their lawful sovereign.
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

If the UK govt treated the US like they did the Moose botherers and the sheep worriers over the next century there would have been a gradual seperation rather than a revolution
                  Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                  Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

I had to write an essay for school about this. I forget what I wrote though.

Comment

Yanks playing in the Ashes
                      Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                      Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                      Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Originally posted by Odin

Give me liberty or give me death!

Heh heh.

"How is it that we hear the loudest yelps for liberty among the drivers of negroes?"

Samuel Johnson: Taxation No Tyranny 1775
                        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

Heh heh.

Samuel Johnson: Taxation No Tyranny 1775
                          IIRC most of the "whining" came from New England merchants.

Comment

When Parliament overreacted to the Boston Tea Party and related acts of civil disobediance by enacting the Intolerable Acts the fateful line was quickly crossed. Sides rapidly polarized. When Ben Franklin met with British parliamentarians in an effort to prevent the escalation of the conflict he was insulted and humilated by the parliamentarians, it is said that he went into that meeting British, and came out an American.

Am I the only one who suspects Odin copied this from somewhere?
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

The epithet of "tory" applied to those who refused to take part in the American Revolution is historically inaccurate. Though the tories were the strongest supporters of the King's rights, it is disingenuous to blithely assume that the whigs were in support of a people's right to rebel against their lawful sovereign.
                              "historically"? Thats how the word tory was used in the 13 colonies at the time - it was tories vs patriots, not tories vs whigs. It emerged because pre-rev the Tory govt in England was identified with taking away rights. Sure it was an epithet - but so were the words "Tory" and "Whig" in origin.
                              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
                              X