Alexander the great airport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alexander the great airport

From an article by the herald tribute, which can be read in its entirety here

"ATHENS, Greece: Greece's foreign minister on Thursday accused neighboring Macedonia of trying to distort history, following reports the tiny country's main airport would be renamed after an ancient Greek warrior-king.

Dora Bakoyannis said the Macedonian Cabinet's reported decision to name Skopje's Petrovec airport "Alexander the Great Airport" could damage Macedonia's bid to join the European Union and NATO.

"This behavior is not consistent with the rules of good neighborly relations," Bakoyannis said. "It does not serve (Macedonia's) aspirations" for EU and NATO membership.

EU and NATO member Greece is locked in a 15-year dispute with Macedonia over the country's name, which Athens says implies territorial claims on the northern Greek province of Macedonia. Athens also accuses Macedonia of hijacking ancient Greek history. (...)"

I think that this is not at all good news. The bad handling of the name issue has lead to even worse decisions, and now it seems that there is no will at all for a compromise.
    What i find more distasteful is not so much the fact that FYR Macedonia is still trying to present itself as related to ancient Macedonia, but that it appears to be actively willing to base itself on the history of ancient Macedonia, much like other nations in the region claim descendance from ancient kingdoms.
    However the slavs reached the balkans only in the dark era of the medieval times, many aeons after the people who lead the campaign against Persia.
    I am wondering if such a fabrication of history is potentially very detrimental to the entire fabric of a society, and so if in the future FYR Macedonia will have to face more problems due to it, apart from the obvious thorns in the prospect of becomming part of the EU.

Although of course it would be drammatic to claim that greeks living in the greek part of Macedonia (of which i am one as well) are anything near direct descendants of ancient macedonians, it is in my view even more bizarre to hear such a claim by slavic people, who shared neither language nor culture with the hellenistic empires.

Greeks.
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

FYORZKYM
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Are those FYROMians and Greeks still going at it?
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I read somewhere that the majority of Greeks are actually mostly Turks at this point. Is this true?
          Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Well, how can you still be a Greek after 400 years under foreign occupation, nobody knows
            I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

I think my location field adequately expresses my POV on this issue

Comment

Kuci

My view is that Fyr Macedonia and Greece could have easily had good relations if it wasn't for such abnormal claims about ancient Macedonia

Comment

Didn't the original Greeks consider the Macedonians barbarians
                  Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

The Greeks are being way overly touchy on this issue. Lots of cities not within Greece's borders nowadays have cities named after Alexander the Great (including Alexandria, Virginia, across the river from where I live).

If that's acceptable, then why the hell is naming an airport after him not acceptable?
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                      The Greeks are being way overly touchy on this issue. Lots of cities not within Greece's borders nowadays have cities named after Alexander the Great (including Alexandria, Virginia, across the river from where I live).
                      And Secunderabad, India. (Sikander = Alexander)
                      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Good question DanS, but there is a simple answer to it:

It is one thing to name something from a historical figure (some buildings, institutions etc in Greece are named after western europeans for example) and a different one to name it after a specific historical figure which is related to the idea your country is overall trying to portray as a relation with the ancient country that figure was a leader of.
                        It would not be the same if Poland, Germany etc named an airport as X figure of the hellenistic age, since Poland or Germany do not claim descendance from ancient Macedonia

Comment

Perhaps because a country that has no relation to the Kingdom of Macedonia that Alexander hails from, but named itself after it anyway, is now naming their airport after him in an effort to continue the farce that they are related to that country?

Anyway, that paragraph aside, it's all pretty silly...
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                            And Secunderabad, India. (Sikander = Alexander)
                            so that's where his username is from.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

If that's acceptable, then why the hell is naming an airport after him not acceptable?
                              Alexandria, Virginia could at least claim,
                              that it named itself not after Alexander, but after the egypt city of Alexandria
                              (which on the other hand was founded and named by Alexander himself )
                              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Working...
                              X