Teen who loves Middle Ages fights for yearbook photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teen who loves Middle Ages fights for yearbook photo

The article references the schools "zero tolerance".
    It's a little different that he would like to do this, but is it really a problem?

08:10 AM CST on Saturday, January 13, 2007

Associated Press

PORTSMOUTH, R.I. - Seventeen-year-old Patrick Agin often spends a week whittling a single arrow, and he's learning to make chain mail armor by hand. So when it came time to submit a senior yearbook photo, he selected a snapshot of himself wearing chain mail and slinging a prop sword over his shoulder.

Portsmouth High School rejected the photo, citing a "zero tolerance policy" for weapons, and Agin and his family sued, claiming the school was violating his right to free speech.

But Agin and others who spend their free time sword fighting and feasting on medieval-style meals also wonder why the school would discourage his passion for a hobby they say offers tens of thousands of people a way to learn about history through hands-on experience.

"It's no different from wanting to appear in a Boy Scout uniform," said Tamara Griggs, a spokeswoman for the Society for Creative Anachronism, a group of 35,000 dues-paying members that stage mock battles, learn arts like calligraphy and conduct demonstrations in shopping malls. Agin belongs to the organization.

During the winter, the society holds one-on-one combat events at churches and schools. In better weather, regional groups called "kingdoms" rent campgrounds and stage epic battles with as many as 1,000 soldiers per side.

Portsmouth Principal Robert Littlefield said allowing a student to brandish a weapon in his senior portrait was against school policies. The school isn't obligated to provide a forum for every student's outside interests, he said.

"I don't see our action as discouraging anyone's hobby," Littlefield said. "I don't see our yearbook as a vehicle where we guarantee everyone an opportunity to broadcast their hobby to our audience."

The ACLU, which filed the suit in federal court in December, calls the zero tolerance policy inconsistent. It points out that the school's mascot, a patriot, is sometimes shown carrying a weapon.

A federal judge asked the state education commissioner to offer a recommendation in the case. He is expected to do so within weeks.

Agin came to the society through his mother, Heidi Farrington, who sews and sells re-enactment clothing to medieval fans.

"They really appreciate people researching things, whether it's textiles or armor or food or any of the skills that would have been applicable," Farrington said. She said she learned to spin wool through the organization.

She said the high school's decision sends a bad message about free thinking and individuality and could conceivably lead the school to ban masterpieces like Shakespeare's "Macbeth," which depicts a fatal stabbing.

"The schools have gotten so into standardization that they are starting to push it on the kids," she said.

Ed Morrill of New York, a regional director whose society alter ego is Viscount Edward Zifran of Gendy, called the group "a very good place for someone to come and learn something new."

Morrill, who began attending society events in 1973, said a lot of people don't understand the group's appeal, but he does: "It's not your father's organization. It's something that's different but something that's socially acceptable."

Society member Nicole Toscano understands the passion that would make someone pose for the yearbook in armor. The student at Simmons College in Boston joined the society at age 7 and works out to keep fit for mock sword fights.

"It's just like any other sport or any martial art. I enjoy doing it just like I was playing football," said Toscano, who also practices calligraphy.

Agin, who is considering joining the military after graduating this year, said he'll likely opt for a pink tuxedo, not armor, to wear to his senior prom.

In the meantime, he plans to take part in more re-enactments.

"I've actually been talking to a knight to become a squire," he said.

Patrick Agin, 17, poses at home with a shield he made, along with a helmet and sword he uses in medieval re-enactments.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

If he really loved the middle ages, he wouldn't use a box of light that captures your soul with witchcraft.
    "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

We had this same problem in my high school, when my friend Steve, who loved the Middle Ages, wasn't allowed to submit a yearbook photo that showed him with enormous, open, pus-filled sores all over his body.
      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Uh huh.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

"It's no different from wanting to appear in a Boy Scout uniform,"
          It is when it involves a weapon. Should an NRA member be allowed to appear with the rifle. As for threatening him with free speech, surely the fact that there's no speech involved would count against them, somewhat.
          Smile
          For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
          But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Stupid school.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

So when it came time to submit a senior yearbook photo, he selected a snapshot of himself wearing chain mail and slinging a prop sword over his shoulder.So when it came time to submit a senior yearbook photo, he selected a snapshot of himself wearing chain mail and slinging a prop sword over his shoulder.

Come on. He's not even bringing things to school. He chose a photo to submit.

Comment

This is the the problem with over zealous laws and rules. I'm sure the school just want to discourage AK47 collections, but they end up stifling genuine interest in history.

Illiberal 'zero-tolerance' fanatics.

Comment

Originally posted by Edan
                  If he really loved the middle ages, he wouldn't use a box of light that captures your soul with witchcraft.
                  And wouldn't bathe for... well, never.
                  I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Isn't this kid going to suffer enough by remaining a virgin his whole life?
                    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Well, you would know about that better than I. What do you think?

Comment

This similar kind of problem has been evident for some time now with centers of education. That is, to make everyone fit in the same mold.

That's exactly what I would suggest our education centers should avoid, in fact, they should support people being creative and doing their own thing.

Schools today are nothing but just another institution, with its rules, and those who challenge the rules are just discredited. I thought the mission of the school is to educate, not assimilate.

Then again, we only need to look at the staff, usually, pretty ****ing stupid. Throw rocks at them.
                        In da butt.
                        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I partially agree with the school, but on different grounds. I think the promotion of violence angle is ridiculous. However, I would have rejected the picture if it was intended to be used in place of the standard head shot that is used at the beginning of the book. It would screw up the aesthetics of the senior pages.

However, I would have taken the opportunity to create a spread in the yearbook dedicated to interesting hobbies people had outside of school in which I would have published this picture as well as other such pictures.
                          I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

There's enough violence on American campuses or just outside, that I can understand and support the school's concerns.

The school isn't against the knight-in-armor photo, it's against the weapon thing. Nothing keeps the kid from submitting a picture of him without the sword, say, him in a relaxed position with a bon-vivant smile , leaning against his shield having an inspiring coat-of-arms.

There's no reason to violate rules, if you can go over, around or under them.

Comment

Another geek, eh?
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X