motherboards ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motherboards ...

So my GF is building a computer, and we're having trouble deciding on the motherboard. My expertise is all on the side of AMD, and she wants to build with Intel ... probably a good decision since Pentiums seem to be slightly superior ATM. She's thinking of a $200-$250 processor, so a core 2 duo 2.2GHz give or take.

MB wise, what's good for Intel (socket 775)?

* 965 - 975 Intel chipsets - is 975 worth paying a bit more for?
    * What manufacturers of Intel chipsets are good? ASUS, Gigabyte, the usuals, or is there a good one out there?
    * Is it worth considering a nVidia chipset? I have one for my AMD chip, but not sure how they compare to Intel chipsets.

Finally, a curiosity. I've seen quite a few MBs that have only one or two PCI slots, and several PCIx1 slots (the really short tiny slots). Are there all that many devices that use the slot at this point? Anyhow, I definitely prefer more PCI (regular) slots given we have lots of PCI equipment

Really finally, are there good discussion groups slash forums for discussing things like this? I presume there must be, but I actually never have managed to stumble on one ...
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Get one with the nVidia 680i chipset. eVGA makes a good board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813188009

I have an Abit AW9D-MAX (975X-based), and I'm happy with it. OCs by almost 50%, effortlessly.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

hardforums, tomshardware, anandtech, xtremecomputing have good fora.
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

Hmm, the eVGA one has some interesting reviews... might be a bit pricey compared to what she's looking for, though. Probably more in the $150 range for MBs. The Abit is one we'd looked at, but only 1 PCI slot makes it pretty much a no-go ...

Comment

Didn't think of seeing whether tomshardware had forums ... we use their reviews for most of our information though

Comment

go w/ DFI MoBo FTW
            :-p

Comment

My next.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Sadly that's an AMD motherboard

Comment

Sadly? Sadly, you seem to want to stick with the has-been.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I have an AMD chip in my PC. Last year, AMD was king. This year, Pentium is king ... next year I'm sure it will be the other way around again

Anyhow, the request was for pentium motherboards, so 'sadly' that link was useless to me, regardless of your opinions of the chip choice... that's not at question here

Comment

im very pleased with amd am2 processors to make the switch. maybe amd will make new type some time soon.

I'm not sure if DFI mobos make intel mobos, but if they do you should go with that. their bios config option is pretty damn impressive.
                      :-p

Comment

DFI, I think, only makes AMD, though I'm not 100% sure. They made at least a reference board for the 680i I believe... so maybe they'll be making P4 stuff soon.

Comment

DFI is coming out with an ATI RD600-based Intel board soon, which will be very sweet.

Comment

ATI is still making Intel boards? WTF Pekka? I thought they swore off of those ...

Comment

It will probably be their last one, but they made a big deal of how the merger wouldn't affect their chipset business.

Comment

Working...
                              X