Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Britain considers plans for solo moon missions

Tue Jan 9, 6:13 PM ET

LONDON (AFP) - Britain is considering plans for its own moon shot, the BBC said, citing plans submitted to the body that funds British space exploration.

Proposals for two missions have been submitted to the Particle Physics and Astronomy Research Council, and the first, if approved, could be launched by 2010.

The first potential mission, "Moonlight", would see four metre (yard)-long darts fired two metres deep into the moon's surface from an orbiting probe, giving scientists information about the possibility of "moonquakes" and other data about the moon's centre.

If "Moonlight" were successful, a second mission named "Moonraker" could be launched, sending a spacecraft to the surface of the moon in search of suitable sites for potential manned bases.

According to Professor Martin Sweeting, founder and chief executive of Surrey Satellite Technology Ltd., which prepared the study for the funding body, the cost of space exploration had fallen enough for Britain to "go it alone".

"Current small missions to the moon cost around 500 million euro (650 million dollars) ... With advances in small satellites we could probably cut the cost by at least a fifth," Sweeting told the BBC.

Last edited by SlowwHand; January 9, 2007, 22:36.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

We can power it with a wind turbine.
    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

I think you and PH should be astronauts.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
        PH wouldn't make the height, or break the weight
        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

So, what parts does Drax Industries supply?
          I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Only one of them would be able to go on a solo mission, though
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
              Just the 70's sci-fi hexagon globes with deadly orchid gas - now the tough contract is finding the super-human hotties for repopulation :X
              But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
              PolyCast | Girl playing Civ + extra added babble! | Yo voté en 2008!

Comment

Don't you mean ejected from the air lock?
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
                  Is this an elusive moonraker refrence?
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Moonraker, your have to be kiding me, I know British tend to have a cheky sense of humor but thats simply too much
                    Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Send Roger Moore
                      Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                      CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                      One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

They can film it in the Pinewood Studios

:tinfoil hat:
                        Blah

Comment

The Swedish probe landed a few weeks ago
                          So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                          Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Its the british way, let others get somewhere new 1st and then a few yearsr latter its ours
                            Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                            Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Originally posted by Impaler[WrG]
                              Moonraker, your have to be kiding me, I know British tend to have a cheky sense of humor but thats simply too much
                              They have this new radar system for their Tornado bombers, the Tornado Advanced Radar Display and Information System. I kid you not.

I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Working...
                              X