No announcement yet.

Uncashed cheque - what should I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The world is full of Robin Hood wannabes these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Fistandantilus
      I am no Robin Hood. I didn't give the money to anyone. I just kept what was mine...and they lost what I really owed them. The over consumption that is...

May you guys find it wrong or not, I dont care. I did what I had to do. Most of you pvssies would have just paid and knelled.

Spec.
      -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Fistandantilus
        There are so many Ghandi wannabes these days...

Spec.
        -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Spec

I am no Robin Hood. I didn't give the money to anyone. I just kept what was mine...and they lost what I really owed them. The over consumption that is...

May you guys find it wrong or not, I dont care. I did what I had to do. Most of you pvssies would have just paid and knelled.

Spec.
          No, I would have paid the overconsumption fee with no late fees or interest.

Because, unlike you, I actually live by my promises.
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

No, I would have paid the overconsumption fee with no late fees or interest.

Because, unlike you, I actually live by my promises.
            Again, you think I received the bill and automaticly said I am not paying this? I called, spoke to a pphone rep 3 times and a supervisor...I saw it was going nowhere, like it usually does with these institutions...

I told them I would pay the over consumption if they faxed me a copy on which it said ''final payment'', they did not accept that. They said either the whole amount or else. I said ok, else it will be.

Else ended up being nothing.

So I won, and its their loss.

Yay for me.

KH, you really got to stop assuming.

Spec.
            Last edited by Spec; January 12, 2007, 12:13.

Comment

I think I'll rather follow Ming's approach, if only because bureaucracy and financial institutions in France are much, much less consumer friendly than in North America.
              In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

pwned.

Spec.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                  Yes, actually.

There's a limit on that too, but it's much longer, as I said. 2 years in NA IIRC
                  6 years in the UK. France, who knows, probably indefinitely.
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Even for small claims (<1000$)?
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The fact that you wouldn't bother chasing small amounts that are that old would be the reason, rather than the legal right to do so.

Comment

From what I recall there's a legal distinction here.

It's to prevent nuisance claims from piling up.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

From professional experience, debts aren't written off until after 6 years from the last statement of an amount due and all financial records should be retained for 6 years (I've never seen distinction based on amount, including nil balances). Under certain circumstance the length is 12 years but I can't remember when as it's rather unusual.

Comment

If the debt is being actively pursued then there's a difference. The account has to be completely silent for the claim to lapse. If you're sending notices and billing statements then the debt remains active for as long as you're willing to keep chasing it.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Umm, yeah, but I don't see your point, assuming you are making one.

If you buy something on credit today and are never chased, the amount is still liable for 6 years, in the UK at least.

In case you misconstrue, my comment about France was flippancy.

Comment

I don't have a point, dude. I'm operating on only the vaguest recollection of what the law says. I'm not trying to argue with you. I certainly accept that you know UK law on this matter better than I do. You might even know how it is in NA better than I do.
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X