Americas first Muslim cabinet member?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Americas first Muslim cabinet member?

Zalmay Khalilzad, of Afghan heritage, a Sunni Muslim, and apparently one of the more competent members of the current admin, is being nominated for the post of ambassador to the UN, a cabinet level post.

AFAIK this would make him the first muslim cabinet member in the US.

Congrats to him, and to American Muslims.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Shush, don't tell Ned!

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

:tass:

Comment

, and congrats to him.

Comment

Is he the guy who was ambassador to Afghanistan?
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
            Is he the guy who was ambassador to Afghanistan?
            The same.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Who cares? 1st this, 1st that. First Muslim with one leg amputated due to a landmine, First mother of twelve, First person to have had a Lasik-surgery.

All the same, self-important, pork-mongering bastards.

Though, I wonder, if a muslim senator gets lots of stuff to his district, is it still pork?
              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

One might as Joe Lieberman (though I don't know if he
                  keeps kosher).

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

LoTM, you actually have no concerns?
                    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

One might as Joe Lieberman (though I don't know if he
                      keeps kosher).

-Arrian
                      He does. He belongs to Orthodox shuls (both in Ct and in DC) and is observant of shabbat and kashrut, AFAIK.

I was at the Kesher Israel, the shul he prays at in DC, on the week Gore nominated him for VEEP. It was very odd, the secret service guys (who were attending, AFAIK the first of a long chain of Jewish Shabbat services) couldnt hustle him into a car after the service, since he doesnt ride on shabbat. Instead they hustled him the street (to a friends house, I think).

QOTM congratulated Haddasah Leiberman on that occasion.

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
                        I'm more surprised that aneeshm apparently has no concerns!

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
                          I have lots of concerns. Is the current weather a sign of global warming? How close is Iran to a bomb? How much trouble will I have setting up my new router? How will POTM do on her biology test? Will the Dems be foolish enough to impeach? Etc, etc.

Did you mean concerns about Khalilzad? No, none in particular. Hes been competent, and has done his level best to advance US interests in Afghanistan and Iraq. Some have accused him of leaning a bit toward the Sunnis in Iraq, but I think that was not out of line with admin strategy at that point. I get the impression he can deal with both neocons and "realists" and will fit in well with either a Rice or Negroponte led for pol team.

I particularly look forward to the first time he casts a veto of an anti-Israel resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo

I'm more surprised that aneeshm apparently has no concerns!

If LOTM says he is sound, that's enough for me.

LOTM

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm

If LOTM says he is sound, that's enough for me.

LOTM
                              I am unworthy, sir.

Comment

Working...
                              X