This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumor: New Xbox 360: HDMI, 120GB HD

Ever wonder why Microsoft hasn't released an HDMI cable for the Xbox 360, or whether the AV port was really capable of digital out? Well, here's your answer: we landed pictures of what appears to be the second Xbox 360 -- the Xbox 360 v2, if you will -- codenamed Zephyr. (The original Xbox 360, if you recall, was codenamed Xenon.) The long rumored about and awaited update to the console won't just feature a new, cooler 65nm processor, it's also finally added an HDMI port for full digital 1080p pleasure, as well as a 120GB drive, just what the doctor ordered. The 120GB drive may or may not come bundled with the kit, we don't yet know, just as we also don't yet know how much a Zephyr 360 is going to run (we imagine it'll go for the same price as currently so they can keep up a little on their expanding margin). But our very kind Xbox insider seemed happy to let us know we'd be able to get them "soon."

The Article:
    Ever wonder why Microsoft hasn't released an HDMI cable for the Xbox 360, or whether the AV port was really capable of digital out? Well, here's your answer: we landed pictures of what appears to be the second Xbox 360 -- the Xbox 360 v2, if you will -- codenamed Zephyr. (The original Xbox 360, if you recall, was codenamed Xenon.) The long rumored about and awaited update to the console won't just feature a new, cooler 65nm processor, it's also finally added an HDMI port for full digital 1080p pleasure, as well as a 120GB drive, just what the doctor ordered. The 120GB drive may or may not come bundled with the kit, we don't yet know, just as we also don't yet know how much a Zephyr 360 is going to run (we imagine it'll go for the same price as currently so they can keep up a little on their expanding margin). But our very kind Xbox insider seemed happy to let us know we'd be able to get them "soon."

Assuming this is true:

Why is Microsoft still skimping out on the HD? 120GB is nothing. According to their own estimates, 120GB would translate into 24 HD movies. Twenty-four may sound like a lot, but that leaves no room for TV shows, not to mention all the actual GAME related stuff on the HD: demos, etc. Granted, you lose the movies after 14 days (realistically, they will probably be taken off the HD by the user after the first 24 hours, since it costs more money to play them after a day), but still. The article acts like the HD may come separate, so maybe there will be other sizes to choose from?

Also, is it technically impossible for MS to put an HD-DVD drive into the 360 itself, and still be able to play DVDs and 360 games? Are the game discs so different from their HD successor, that this is impossible? (I'd think so, given MS' past decisions, but who knows?)

It's probably very easy to make a DVD/HD-DVD combo drive, since they use the same laser.

Comment

Beat you to it.

Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Tassadar hasn't polluted my thread, though. I win.

Comment

Ever wonder why Microsoft hasn't released an HDMI cable for the Xbox 360, or whether the AV port was really capable of digital out?

no
          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Why is Microsoft still skimping out on the HD? 120GB is nothing.
            Assuming it's true, that's still 2x more than the PS3 Deluxe.
            B♭3

Comment

Also, is it technically impossible for MS to put an HD-DVD drive into the 360 itself,
              No, but they probably want to keep the cost down and avoid the whole situation with the PS3 and its Blu-Ray drive.

and still be able to play DVDs and 360 games? Are the game discs so different from their HD successor, that this is impossible?
              HD-DVDs and DVDs can be read in the same drive. So can Blu-Rays and DVDs.

LG's coming out with a drive that will work with HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, and DVDs, but that won't be until next year, and thus it'll be a bit longer before it gets included on the X360, if at all.
              B♭3

Comment

Re: Rumor: New Xbox 360: HDMI, 120GB HD

Originally posted by Verto
                Also, is it technically impossible for MS to put an HD-DVD drive into the 360 itself, and still be able to play DVDs and 360 games? Are the game discs so different from their HD successor, that this is impossible? (I'd think so, given MS' past decisions, but who knows?)
                Verto, it's very much possible. They just don't want to do it.

Ars Technica visits Microsoft and looks at what the Xbox 360 has gotten right? …

I was more intrigued with the HD DVD drive as a piece of hardware. I asked if we would ever see games use the drive. A firm "no." I asked if we would ever see a 360 with an HD DVD drive built-in. Another firm "no." No hesitation.

"We don't want to charge customers $200 extra for something that may be the next Betamax," Henson told me
                XBox Live: VovanSim
                xbox.com (login required)
                Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                Spore page

Comment

Working...
                X