Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Origin's Goddard had a lift off in november

Not much of a flight, but several good pics and vids :

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Here are some pics that I have taken of the area around the launch site in Texas...

Note: Click on thumbnail pictures for larger versions. Leave it to bureaucrats to make a place sound unappealing. In its environmental assessment (pdf; large file warning) of the Blue Origin West Texas Commercial Launch Site 20 miles North of Van...

I wouldn't call it "not much of a flight." That flight demonstrated very fine control of the vehicle. Already, the computer control is more sophisticated than our orbital launch vehicles. This flight puts it in the club of DC-X, Japan's test RLV, and Armadillo Aerospace (also in Texas).
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
      I wouldn't call it "not much of a flight." That flight demonstrated very fine control of the vehicle. Already, the computer control is more sophisticated than our orbital launch vehicles. This flight puts it in the club of DC-X, Japan's test RLV, and Armadillo Aerospace (also in Texas).
      Don't misunderstand me - it was a nice and well controlled flight, but was straight up and down and lasted only a few secs.
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

BC, that was kinda the point. This was to prove some of the tech, like the thrust vectoring. I'm not sure what they were using for fuel, but I doubt it would take them much further than what we see in the video. This wasn't about reaching orbit, this was about getting off the ground in a controlled manner and returning safely and on-target.
        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

All I say is that there isn't much flight to see, but I really can't remember I have said that this fact should in any way be a bad thing. I'm quite aware of the fact that this is an experimental prototype and that it isn't supposed to fly for long.

Call my comment a small warning to people that would have expected a saturn V blast off.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

If you had just said "a short flight", then your connotations wouldn't have gotten away from you.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Considering how you yanks are making havoc on the english language, I really can't see any problem in a dane not spelling things out

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

"Maximum altitude on this first development flight was about 285 feet."

About 28 stories. That's not bad at all. Actually, I would think it pretty hard to go JUST that high, and return back down.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
                    Considering how you yanks are making havoc on the english language, I really can't see any problem in a dane not spelling things out
                    Guilty as charged BC

Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

It's rather impressively large for a test vehicle.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X