Any French Revolution Swashbucklers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zkribbler
    I don't have time to real yourl link now, but he's got an incredible story.
    Shurely shome mishtake ?

Marryat -v- Marat ?

Marat, dead for a ducat:
    Attached Files
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Yep. Different guy entirely:

Marryat was born in London, the son of Joseph Marryat, a "merchant prince" and member of Parliament. After trying to run away to sea several times, he was permitted to enter the Royal Navy in 1806, as a midshipman on board HMS Imperieuse, a frigate commanded by Lord Cochrane (who would later serve as inspiration for both Marryat and other authors).
      Cochrane -- now there was a commander and a half.

Comment

There are the Hornblower and the Master and Commander series if you're interested in the naval aspects of the era.
        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Here's also a special offer for Zkrib
          Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
            There are the Hornblower and the Master and Commander series if you're interested in the naval aspects of the era.
            Read all the Hornblower series and tried three different Jack Aubry books (Master & Commander, HMS Surprise and ___) but couldn't get into any of them

The first half dozen of Dewey Lamdin's books were great, but then his main character (name slips my mind right now) became responsible.

Comment

Working...
            X