French marchers say 'non' to 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French marchers say 'non' to 2007

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Parodying the French readiness to say "non", the demonstrators in the western city of Nantes waved banners reading: "No to 2007" and "Now is better!"

The marchers called on governments and the UN to stop time's "mad race" and declare a moratorium on the future.

The protest was held in the rain and organisers joked that even the weather was against the New Year.

The tension mounted as the minutes ticked away towards midnight - but the arrival of 2007 did nothing to dampen their enthusiasm.

The protesters began to chant: "No to 2008!"

They vowed to stage a similar protest on 31 December 2007 on the Champs-Elysees avenue in Paris.
    http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Now this is something we all should support!
    Blah

Comment

If it brings immortality, I'm all for it
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

It is nice to see some people in France understand how lame some of the protests held in their country are. Parodies.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Did Nantes also declare itself to be in Africa now?
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

This is exactly the kind of random, meaningless gesture our world needs more of.
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Last summer I was in Berkley, CA and I got a kick out of the "protesters protesting the consent stupid protests."
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
                  The video may avatar is from

Comment

NANTES, France (AFP) - Taking the French love to say "non" to a new extreme, some 600 people gathered in the western city of Nantes not to ring in the New Year, but to protest its arrival.

Lashed by rain, the organisers joked even the weather was against 2007, as they milled about under banners reading "No to 2007!" and "Now is better!"

"The world will come to understand that it must stop this mad course towards the future and we demand the governments of the world and the United Nations declare a moratorium to stop this December 31 the future," said one of the organisers.

WTF?

The tension mounted as the minutes ticked away, but the arrival of midnight and 2007 did nothing to dampen their enthusiasm as they began to chant "No to 2008!".

Organisers vowed to resist pressure from watchmakers and calendar printers to hold the event for a third time on December 31, 2007 on the Champs-Elysees in Paris.

Read the what's out to the side: http://news.yahoo.com/photo/070101/p...311d41aea8524#
                    USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
                    The video may avatar is from

Comment

They need a sense of humour - so they can live with being French.
                      Annoying my wife by playing Civ since 1993.

CivIV for Mac arrived in time for Christmas, but the new Mac isn't due until mid January...

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                        It is nice to see some people in France understand how lame some of the protests held in their country are. Parodies.
                        Originally posted by Dauphin
                        Did Nantes also declare itself to be in Africa now?
                        Nantes if the historical capital of Bretagne region, which the evil French nationalist-capitalist-imperialists put in the Pays de Loare or whatever region, to destroy Bretagne

so, being not as quite French as Reims or Orlean, they can have a better perspective.

Les nationalistes francaises qui opressent (?) Bretagne, Corse, Alsace, Lorraine, Les Basques, Provence, Languedoc etc
                        "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                        I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                        Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                          This is exactly the kind of random, meaningless gesture our world needs more of.
                          QFT
                          Smile
                          For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                          But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Only in France.

You see, they even don't want the year to change. How can we expect to .. actually deal with these people?
                            In da butt.
                            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                            X