More religious fundimentalist stupidity from the Bush administration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More religious fundimentalist stupidity from the Bush administration

Political appointees in the Bush administration have just had Grand Canyon National Park remove all plackards and signs which mentioned the estimated age of the canyon. What is more they also purged the park library and gift shops of any book which mentioned the age of the park then demanded that all the gift shops carry a new rightwing Christian fundimentalist book which claims the Grand Canyon is proof of Noah's biblical flood.

Scientists are dismayed as ****ting on science and replacing it with the worst religious extremism is a repeated pattern of the Bush administration. Someone tell me why Bush isn't the worst President in living memory.

Park Service inanity: they won't tell us how old the Grand Canyon is

According to Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility (PEER) in a report released this week [PDF], Grand Canyon National Park is not permitted to give an official estimate of the geologic age of its principal feature, due to pressure from Bush administration appointees.

Furthermore, a book approved by the Service claiming the Grand Canyon was created by Noah's flood ,rather than by geologic forces, is on sale in the park for more than three years, even though a review was promised to Congress and the press. A Freedom of Information request [PDF] reveals that no review has ever been requested, nor taken place.

"In order to avoid offending religious fundamentalists, our National Park Service is under orders to suspend its belief in geology," stated PEER Executive Director Jeff Ruch. "It is disconcerting that the official position of a national park as to the geologic age of the Grand Canyon is 'no comment.'" PEER urged [PDF] the new Director of the National Park Service (NPS), Mary Bomar, to end the stalling tactics, remove the book from sale at the park and allow park interpretive rangers to honestly answer questions from the public about the geologic age of the Grand Canyon.

Hard to believe... where is Richard Dawkins when we need him?

This is crap. All the more reason to remove 90% of all political appointees and have them replaced by professionals and have peer panels make the day to day decisions like this.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

W... T... F...
    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
    -Joan Robinson

Comment

Fundamentalist
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

If that's Oerdin's only spelling error in the thread so far, it's actually quite an improvement.
        ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

"Furthermore, a book approved by the Service claiming the Grand Canyon was created by Noah's flood ,rather than by geologic forces, is on sale in the park for more than three years,"

ive never been to the canyon, but ive been to the Shenandoah national park, where the gift shop at the skyland sells all kinds of reading matter, including a book about the history of the Amish and Mennonites that is definitely pro-Amish. Plus religious books, secular books, and other books that someone staying overnight at the skyland rooms might be interested in. "approved" by NPS for sale, but not thereby endorsed for accuracy. My suspicion is that the above is similar. Whole thing sounds out of context.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

"A Freedom of Information request [PDF] reveals that no review has ever been requested, nor taken place.

jesus christ on a breadstick, why would there be a review of every book sold in the park? Have you ever been to the NPS administered civil war battlefields back east? Bookstores are filled with histories and stuff, very opinionated, from Shelby Foote to PC stuff. Hundreds of titles. On sale at a park DOES NOT mean endorsed by NPS. It would be ridiculous if it did. This is a call for censorship, and i shudder at its implications back east.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Re: More religious fundimentalist stupidity from the Bush administration

Originally posted by Oerdin

This is crap.
              QFT

Comment

Originally posted by joncha
                If that's Oerdin's only spelling error in the thread so far, it's actually quite an improvement.
                I often post while drunk. Spelling errors happen.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I often post while drunk.
                  Oh... so that explains it then.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by joncha
                    It wasn't, as the first sentence shows

To be fair, he's not as bad as Impaler.
                    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Impaler is hooked on phonics.
                      ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Allowing a book is not a big deal. Evicting geology (books and references) from the park is quite disturbing though.

Besides, we all know the canyon is where people emerged into the fourth world...

Comment

I think the "proof" of the biblical flood is actually referencing a Havasupai legend about how the Grand Canyon was created by a great flood. Just like invariably any flood myth is linked as "proof" of Noah's world-wide flood.

Comment

Speling errs hapen.
                            Fixed.

Comment

I often post while drunk. Spelling errors happen.
                              I only post when drunk. (That's the only time I can spare for this crappy site.) My spelling is perfect, and remember English is only my second language. And I'm always very humble about things like this. Happy new year!

So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                              Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Working...
                              X