PC purchasing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC purchasing question

I haven't purchased a PC since 1995. Ever since then my upgrades haqve been via an acquaintance who used to unload his entire system on me every year or so when he'd buy himself a new PC.

It has been some time now since this person moved to a distant corner of the country and my current PC is really showing it's age.

I want to play medieval total war II without noticable lag at minimum graphics settings.

In general I haven't had any appreciation for any development graphics wise since about the time quake I was released.

On the other hand the minimum graphics hardware requirements even for games like civ4 are now becoming possible to not have whereas until recently any svga card was fine for any sort of strategy game.

I assume for anybody buying a system there is a sweet point where buying a system that meets those specs gets you the most entertainment value (which is all my upgrades are any longer about) for each dollar spent.

Is there an obvious system configuration I should shoot for to meet that sweet spot if I'm the sort of gamer who will play Dawn of war with the graphics settings at minimum just on the off chance that it might prevent lag even though I've played at higher settings without lag? (in other words I care so little about graphics that I'll readily knock the settings down even when there is no certain bennefit for doing so). I really want to avoid aiming so low that I find myself unable to meet minimum system requirements for new strategy games again in the next couple of years.

I'm basically looking for general advice on PC purchase since I know my knowledge is *waaaay* out of date on all of the relevant details, but I want to avoid the trap (if it matters) of aiming for a system that's really only appropriate for someone who thinks graphics realism is the most important part of their game playing experience and so waste hundreds of extra dollars trying to meet the tastes of the average computer gamer.

Existing system:

1.6 GHz Athlon Processor
    1.0 GB Ram (very old some sort of SDRAM dimm sticks)
    GeForce 4MX 440 64 MB
    80 GB HD
    40 GB HD
    Nearly brand new DVD burner
    Copy of Windows XP from a PC that was switched to Linux at work. (I took it home legit and through the proper channels)

I'm guessing the only thing worth moving to a new system will be the DVD burner.

Thanks in advance for any useful advice you might have.

Oh and I'm a cheap bastard so I'll probably prefer any solution that costs less than $500 and if I find I must shoot higherthan $500 bucks I'm likely to try to wait even longer in hopes that such a system will eventually drop into the $500 or lower range.

[edit oh yes! I also plan on doing a lot of DVD burning from Tivo files and editing of those Tivo files to remove commercials and changes to the compression of the bitrate of some of the resulting mpegs to fit different numbers of episodes on different DVDs dpending on the quality I'm aiming for.]
    Last edited by Geronimo; December 30, 2006, 20:02.

Intel's new chips make the decision easier. Get a Core2 Duo with either a P965 or 975X, or an nForce 680-based motherboard, 2GB DDR2 RAM, and a cheapo GeForce 7300 or 7600 graphics card while you wait for cheaper DX10 cards to come out.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
      Intel's new chips make the decision easier. Get a Core2 Duo with either a P965 or 975X, or an nForce 680-based motherboard, 2GB DDR2 RAM, and a cheapo GeForce 7300 or 7600 graphics card while you wait for cheaper DX10 cards to come out.
      I wonder how much that would likely cost.

What's the best web site for finding realistic price ranges for PCs? It seems to be easy to find web sites that include meaningless price quotes for stuff because they are deceptive in some way or because their search capability just sucks so badly that they include things like a single motherboard in a list that is supposed to be PCs
      Last edited by Geronimo; December 30, 2006, 19:45.

Comment

Do you want to build it yourself? If so, www.newegg.com and www.zipzoomfly.com are good sites for components.

Otherwise, Dell.
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
          Do you want to build it yourself? If so, www.newegg.com and www.zipzoomfly.com are good sites for components.

Otherwise, Dell.

Thanks!

BTW, did athlon cease to be the best CPU line for the dollar then?

I thought for a while they were better in every way than similiarly priced Intel CPUs except in power consumption which doesn't concern me that much for a desktop PC.

If I build my own should I try to get an OS bundled with it or is it probably not worth it to have 2 XP systems and perhaps I can instead just convert my old system to windows 98 for older games?
          Last edited by Geronimo; December 30, 2006, 20:00.

Comment

Yep... Intel's new Core2 Duo destroys AMD's Athlon in every way possible.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
              Yep... Intel's new Core2 Duo destroys AMD's Athlon in every way possible.
              meaning in performance/price ratio as well?

Comment

Oh geez I can't believe I forgot!

I got a Tivo recently and have been doing some conversion of Tivo files to DVD's with the commercials edited out.

This can take freaking forever on my current PC! literally hours!

Does my desire to do this frequently likely impact my choice of a new PC?

Comment

I was looking at this as well, about to buy a new PC an all. For graphics crads, don't expect the 7300 to do much, it struggles with Doom 3 and anything newer. The 7600's pretty good though, and the GT's still not too expensive while doing everything you need it to.

I'm looking at something along the lines of:

Core 2 Duo 6300 or 6400 (1.86 or 2.16ghz)
                  nVidia 7600GT or 7900GT
                  1 or 2gb RAM
                  then typical HDD, sound card, DVD writer, etc.

Probably add a nice 19" flatscreen to it. Not sure about which of the latter though, haven't looked into LCD HD vs TFT yet. If you want to go cheaper than the 6300, the base Core 2 Duo, I'd probably recommend the Athalon 64 3800 with an X2 motherboard. It's pretty nice and cheaper than the Core 2 Duos, though a way behind in performance. My aim was basically to get the cheapest PC that will play relatively modern games without issues, have the processor power for any normal stuff (or lots of normal stuff) without slowdown, and be upgradable, so getting a bottom-of-the-range Core2Duo rather than a higher-up-the-range Athalon or Pentium D.
                  Smile
                  For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                  But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Originally posted by Drogue
                    I was looking at this as well, about to buy a new PC an all. For graphics crads, don't expect the 7300 to do much, it struggles with Doom 3 and anything newer. The 7600's pretty good though, and the GT's still not too expensive while doing everything you need it to.

I'm looking at something along the lines of:

Core 2 Duo 6300 or 6400 (1.86 or 2.16ghz)
                    nVidia 7600GT or 7900GT
                    1 or 2gb RAM
                    then typical HDD, sound card, DVD writer, etc.

Probably add a nice 19" flatscreen to it. Not sure about which of the latter though, haven't looked into LCD HD vs TFT yet. If you want to go cheaper than the 6300, the base Core 2 Duo, I'd probably recommend the Athalon 64 3800 with an X2 motherboard. It's pretty nice and cheaper than the Core 2 Duos, though a way behind in performance. My aim was basically to get the cheapest PC that will play relatively modern games without issues, have the processor power for any normal stuff (or lots of normal stuff) without slowdown, and be upgradable, so getting a bottom-of-the-range Core2Duo rather than a higher-up-the-range Athalon or Pentium D.
                    have you found any pricing for such a system yet? (minus the monitor)

Comment

Working...
                    X