RAM purchasing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM purchasing question

So, I have 1 GB of RAM currently in the machine and I'm thinking of upgrading it (at least before Vista comes out). Now, I'm trying to decide whether to go up to 2 GB or 3 GB. Would 2 GB be ok, or should I make the jump to 3? Especially considering that Vista Home Premium is going to require 1 GB (and yes, eventually I'm putting Vista on this computer)?
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

With RAM what matters more is BUS speed not overall capacity unless you run huge recursive functions.

That should have been clear to everyone since the late 90s.

Comment

Pfft. 640k should be enough for everybody.

More seriously, if you can get both sticks at a reasonable price, there's no reason not to...
      B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
        With RAM what matters more is BUS speed not overall capacity unless you run huge recursive functions.

That should have been clear to everyone since the late 90s.
        Well, yes. But then again, it's like hard disk space. More is never a problem.
        B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
          More seriously, if you can get both sticks at a reasonable price, there's no reason not to...
          That's the issue .

A Crucial they are recommending $121.98 for another GB (two 512 sticks) and $271.98 for 2 GBs (two 1 GB sticks). It's a bit more money . I'd like to go for the two 1 GB sticks, but I wanted to know if it was worth it.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Well he shouldn't bother with a choice between 2 or 3 GB, both are abundant. He hasn't said a word about speed though and is likely to make a wrong decision in the reach for more. If the larger chip cost the same as the smaller it might be due to a trade off in speed in which case I'd always pick the 2 GGB.

Comment

2 and 3 are both plenty enough right now. Even with Vista's annoying memory hog, you're hardly going to exceed 2 GB usage.

But eventually, you'll need to get more anyway. If you get 3 GB now, that means you won't have to upgrade for when MS Windows **** requires 2 GB...
              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

That's the issue .

A Crucial they are recommending $121.98 for another GB (two 512 sticks) and $271.98 for 2 GBs (two 1 GB sticks). It's a bit more money . I'd like to go for the two 1 GB sticks, but I wanted to know if it was worth it.
                It depends a lot how important that $150 is to you.

More RAM (to a point) will improve performance noticibly. Historically, 3 times the minimum stated by MS would not be wasted money. I don't have hands on Vista yet, but what I've heard does not lead me to believe that things have changed on this front.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Isn't this only relevant if you're planning to choose a 32-bit version of Vista?

If you're planning on upgrading to a 64-bit version of Vista, then most of your current hardware becomes useless, if I've understood the entire 64-vs-32-bit thing correctly.

Comment

Ecthy, speed is not an issue. I can get both 1 GB extra or 2 GB extra in PC4000.

More RAM (to a point) will improve performance noticibly. Historically, 3 times the minimum stated by MS would not be wasted money. I don't have hands on Vista yet, but what I've heard does not lead me to believe that things have changed on this front.

That's what I figured. Thanks. I think I'll go for the 3 GB, when I decided to drop the cash.

Comment

Originally posted by Zopperoni
                      Isn't this only relevant if you're planning to choose a 32-bit version of Vista?

If you're planning on upgrading to a 64-bit version of Vista, then most of your current hardware becomes useless, if I've understood the entire 64-vs-32-bit thing correctly.
                      Well I do have a AMD 64 bit processor currently, if that is what you are asking on. Though I haven't decided yet, since it seems like most applications are designed in 32 bit mode.

Comment

Make sure you stay in dual channel mode (i.e. symmetric sticks). RAM speeds are always increasing - DDR3 will be out soon - so it's not necessarily better to get more than you need. 2GB is plenty.
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Listen to the Indian, they're all programmers nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                            Make sure you stay in dual channel mode (i.e. symmetric sticks). RAM speeds are always increasing - DDR3 will be out soon - so it's not necessarily better to get more than you need. 2GB is plenty.
                            Yeah, I know about symmetric sticks (it's the one thing I do know ).

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                              And you'll need a new motherboard to use it...
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Working...
                              X