Word question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Word question

I know how to make references / footnotes.
    But in my translation work, there are dozens or repeating problems. It'd be great if I wouldn't have to write a new reference each time, but could make a reference referring to one I've already made. Kind of like on the pic. Is it possible and how to do it?

Thank You
    Attached Files
    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

You must have some kind of convetion about how to do it in your place. Use that.

If you are simply translating some words, then it is enough to translate the problematic word once, and explain how you use that word. Then use this new translation freely, after you've explained it.

If you are using a reference, then you must always put the reference in there though. Reference is different than translation, which one are you doing? The picture looks like using references, nto just translating.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I have a word question. Why do you insist on writing 'you' with a capital Y?

Comment

Monk, byte me. He didn't ask for your critique.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
          You must have some kind of convetion about how to do it in your place. Use that.

If you are simply translating some words, then it is enough to translate the problematic word once, and explain how you use that word. Then use this new translation freely, after you've explained it.

If you are using a reference, then you must always put the reference in there though. Reference is different than translation, which one are you doing? The picture looks like using references, nto just translating.
          I am translating, but I am explaining some historical stuff and also I explain sometimes why I have chosen this or that way of translating things.

The most annoying part is Misr. Depending on context, it may mean:
          -Egypt
          -Cairo
          -Fustat
          (-corn)
          and as this book is about Egypt in Syria, in general, this word is on every page. Sometimes it is obvious what is ment, sometimes not, and then, I have to make a reference. That's why I'd like to have one reference for all the cases like this; reference no x, used many many times, not a lot of separate references.

Thank You anyway.

I don't know why I'm using Y in You. I got Yoused to doing that and I see no good reason to stop that - I am showing my respect for other this way.
          Middle East!

Comment

Which you fail to do in the things you say.

Comment

I respect You
              I respect everyone on this board with 2 exceptions perhaps.
              Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson

I am translating, but I am explaining some historical stuff and also I explain sometimes why I have chosen this or that way of translating things.

The most annoying part is Misr. Depending on context, it may mean:
                -Egypt
                -Cairo
                -Fustat
                (-corn)
                and as this book is about Egypt in Syria, in general, this word is on every page. Sometimes it is obvious what is ment, sometimes not, and then, I have to make a reference. That's why I'd like to have one reference for all the cases like this; reference no x, used many many times, not a lot of separate references.

Really interesting work. I hope you get good money for it.
                Some questions, which I hope aren't too private:
                How much Arabic did you know before your stay in Syria? Do you translate to Polish? Whom are you doing this for?
                "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

One thing you can do is use a regular footnote the first time, and then just use superscripted numerals for subsequent references of the same number.
                  THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                  AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                  AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                  DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                    Monk, byte me. He didn't ask for your critique.
                    Doucement, mon tigre! It just looks so German to me, that's all.

We'd hate for our translation friend to miss out on some business because of somebody thinking he can't get a perfectly common English word right, now wouldn't we?

Now I'm just wondering whether your pun was intended or the subconscious kicking in. Happy New Year, either how. Both of you. (Edit: Or 'You', or whatever.)
                    Last edited by Monk; December 30, 2006, 15:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Wernazuma III

Really interesting work. I hope you get good money for it.
                      I get no money for it. I need to read that book for my masters' degree, but I'm translating it because I hope it will be my doctor thesis

Some questions, which I hope aren't too private:
                      How much Arabic did you know before your stay in Syria?
                      Almost as much as I know today. I've been learning arabic for 5,5 years now. My progress in Syria is mostly that I'm not that much afraid to speak anymore.

Do you translate to Polish? Whom are you doing this for?
                      I'm translating to polish, though I've translated little pieces into english as well

Originally posted by LordShiva
                      One thing you can do is use a regular footnote the first time, and then just use superscripted numerals for subsequent references of the same number.
                      nice idea, but how can inser a subscripted 245, for example?
                      Middle East!

Comment

Type "245," and then highlight it and go to Format -> Font -> Superscript. Alternatively, you can configure your toolbar buttons to have the superscript button on it, which will make it easier.
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

thank You very much! I'll try it
                          Middle East!

Comment

Working...
                          X