Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I make a VDC/DVD out of an AVI file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I make a VDC/DVD out of an AVI file?

How do I do it (keeping in mind that I'm using Linux here)?

If its for your own use, by far the easiest thing to do is buy a DVD players that plays Aivs/DivX files. They arn't much dearer than regular budget players and you can put ~9 hours of video on one single sided disk.

Comment

I already have a player, and I don't think that it plays normal AVIs or DivX files. But I need it so that I can give normal VCDs to other people.

Comment

Most players play all formats now.
        There are conversion programs for changing format.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I would expect most DVD burning softwares to be able to burn a playable DVD from an AVI file, particularly on Linux ... but I don't use Linux, so who knows
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Nero does it on Windows (with the additional DVD license). The DVD format is proprietary, so I doubt you can find anything legal to do it in Linux. You might be able to find something less than legal.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Want me to pm you? Just not your head if you do, because I don't want to insinuate anything that mofo Dan would get me over.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                Nero does it on Windows (with the additional DVD license). The DVD format is proprietary, so I doubt you can find anything legal to do it in Linux. You might be able to find something less than legal.
                The problem has been solved on Windows. What about Linux?

EDIT: I just found this script which automates the whole job on Linux - you have to give it the name of the avi file, the video format (VCD/SVCD/DVD), whether it is wide or full, and the name of the output file, and it converts it into a burnable image.

EDIT 2: The script works for separating the video component, but fails at audio.
                Last edited by aneeshm; December 30, 2006, 13:59.

Comment

I'd just buy a new player for $45 and then not even bother converting the file.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

That's far too expensive, for two reasons:

a) That's a lot of money in India, and electronic stuff is even more expensive here than in the USA
                    b) I'm a student, supported by my parents

Comment

SOME people's instant advice is to buy something else.

We wouldn't want to make what we have work, now would we?

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                        This is just a guess, but it might be the case that the software for that is developed for "educational purposes". That's at least what LAME claims about itself. Of course, the vast majority of users just compile and go, but that's their fault, not LAME's...

aneeshm: You might also try dvdauthor.
                        This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

LAME is the best compression agent.
                          Exact Audio Copy, dBpowerAMP, and I think Nero, all use it.

Comment

All this for nothing, when a single ffmpeg command would have done the job.

Link

Comment

Working...
                            X