Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are the Harry Potter books so alluring? (4/6)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Torture and death of which loved one, exactly? Cedric wasn't tortured. Nor was Sirius. Nor was Dumbledore. There is nothing in the books dark enough to seriously mess with you head, at least till now. I'd like so see if she includes it in the seventh book.

Comment

Um... do you remember the detention sessions with Umbridge? I think bloody scratches over and over on the back of a hand are torture.

And Dumbledore and Sirius were loved ones and did die.

But... that's usually in children's books?
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
        Um... do you remember the detention sessions with Umbridge? I think bloody scratches over and over on the back of a hand are torture.

And Dumbledore and Sirius were loved ones and did die.

But... that's usually in children's books?
        He who was tortured didn't die, and he who died wasn't tortured. But yes, this sort of thing is usually there in children's books, and always has been - at least, it was there when I was a child. What's new or great about it?

Comment

He who was tortured didn't die, and he who died wasn't tortured.

Well, no **** sherlock. And I never said they were.

this sort of thing is usually there in children's books, and always has been

It's usually cartoony or detached and not so graphically detailed (like Hansel and Gretel and stuff like that)... or else you just had a messed up childhood .
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

by the way, Im not sure Voldemort is painted as incomprehensible. Isnt the desire to end death and attain immortality a deep one in the western tradition, and the eastern tradition as well? Isnt Harry himself greatly desirous of seeing his parents and Sirius come back to life - isnt that precisely what Voldemort tempts him with?

We are also told in book 2 that Voldemort is mistreated at the orphanage, and its at least hinted that that is the origin of his hatred of muggles - that and the muggle father who left his witch mother to die. thats HIS version of the story, anyway. "those to whom evil is done do evil in return" In book 6 we see that the story is somewhat more complex than that.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

You are trying to cover too much ground, Brahman, and this material connects weakly with your central thesis. Please recraft your scope.

Comment

Originally posted by TCO
                You are trying to cover too much ground, Brahman, and this material connects weakly with your central thesis. Please recraft your scope.
                It connects quite nicely with my main this. This will become apparent when the next two bits are posted.

Comment

This is sad.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                  X