Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is the last time you used your floppy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is the last time you used your floppy?

Why are these things still on computers? worthless waste of space.

It's been at least 3 years since I have used one.

Sometimes when I am first starting up a computer (or installing the OS after a format) it is the easiest way to install some drivers.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I transfer files from home to work via floppy.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

how much memory do those things have anyways? Isn't it only like 1 MB?

Comment

it's only good for various sorts of start up disks and bios flashing but those two uses can be important.

Comment

It is small (1.4 MB IIRC) but I deal with text files for the most part.
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I use a thumbdrive.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

A few years ago. We had to submit some programming project by floppy.

For all other purposes it's email or a disk-on-key.
                "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
                  I transfer files from home to work via floppy.
                  Moi aussi.

Comment

Bloody Windows-install cd didn't have SATA-drivers... And I don't have a floppy-drive. One would think they'd understand thumb-drives, but no... Had to make a new installation cd, with drivers...
                    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Do any motherboards allow for flash upgrades and boot ups from a usb flash drive?

Comment

I installed Gentoo on my home computer by booting it up with a grub netboot floppy and pulling in a kernel and, IIRC, a largish initrd (enough to start a shell in order to create filesystems and copy in more stuff, at least) over tftp. Saved a CD and learned a bunch of things doing that .

This was several years ago, though... I've removed the floppy drive since, because I never figured out any other use for it.
                        This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

I haven't had a floppy drive in my computer for 3-4 years, which means I probably haven't used floppies for like 4-5 years
                          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Bought a new computer in early december. This is my first PC without a floppy drive. I last used a floppy drive in june, when I had to reboot from a floppy in order to do some stuff with partition magic.

Asmodean
                            Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

last time was two years ago, used a linux boot disk to reset a windoze password. last legit use, can't remember.
                              Visit First Cultural Industries
                              There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                              Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Working...
                              X