Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jewellers deny entry to veiled women wearing burqa

Link

The jewellers in my city have stopped allowing veiled women wearing the burqa into their shops, because surveillance cameras fail to identify thieves who rob stores wearing it.

Pune jewellers bar entry to women wearing burqa
    [ 28 Dec, 2006 0052hrs IST TIMES NEWS NETWORK ]

MUMBAI: The burqa is back in the news. This time it's not religious zealots or political firestarters but jewellers in Pune who want to lift the veil.

After surveillance cameras failed to identify two burqa-clad who robbed leading jewellery stores in Pune, the trade in the city has decided to put restrictions on customers who come wearing the attire.

The Maharashtra Jewellers' Association has written to the state home minister to allow jewellers in Pune to put up a board outside their shops informing them of the 'no burqa' policy.

To press for their demand, Pune jewellers have even decided to close their stores on December 29 and also stop dealing with women who walk in cloaked in a burqa from January 1 onwards. But Mumbai's jewellers have not been informed of the move.

The proposal has generated a variety of views. While a section of Muslim clerics said it did not stem from communal bias and appeared to be aimed at safeguarding commercial interests, women who use the attire felt it was "insensitive" to profile people on the basis of their dress.

Pune was rocked by major thefts in two big stores during the Diwali rush. One store suffered a loss of Rs three lakh and the other almost Rs four lakh. CCTV footage showed burqa-clad women stealing the gold.

"The jewellers had taken adequate care by putting up CCTV cameras but the police were helpless as they could not identify the women," said association president Fatehchand Ranka from Pune.

Ranka clarified that if a woman removed her naqab for the surveillance camera to record her face, she would be allowed into the store.

"We are not against any religion. In fact a Rajasthani woman in a ghunghat will also be asked to remove her veil. The point is to identify a person, not to disrobe anyone," he said.

News of the proposal has not yet reached Zaveri Bazaar, one of the hubs for the jewellery trade in Mumbai, but a leading Colaba jeweller told TOI that he could understand the rationale behind the move.

"The problem is burqas are generally oversized and we can't even see the woman's hands. So if she is stashing ornaments inside her body, we won't know. We remain extra alert. It's an unwritten practice followed discreetly by us," he said requesting anonymity.

The state minority commission, however, described the move as dangerous. "Tomorrow they will say that burqa-clad thieves robbed a bank, so veiled women won't be allowed even in banks," Naseem Siqqiqui, chairman of the commission, said.

He added that a woman should be given the choice whether she wants to shop in jeans or in burqa. Siddiqui urged every community to condemn this decision.

"Tomorrow, storekeepers could urge Sikhs to yank off their turbans just because someone uses the headgear to hide a revolver."

But secretary of All India Ulema Council Maulana Zaheer Abbas Rizvi justified the jewellers' decision and said it stemmed from a commercial motive and did not reflect religious bias.

"They do not seem to be against any religion but are acting purely on business interests. Given the losses they suffered, they have every right to protect their valuables in their premises. They want to know who walks into their shop and that's not asking for much," he said.

However, women who wear a veil may not take too kindly to the proposal. Sophia College student Shazli Shaikh from Colaba, who shops regularly along with her three sisters wearing burqa, said the move was insensitive.

"Crime has no religion. Non-Muslims are misusing the burqa for criminal purposes and we are being painted with the same brush."

Just goes to show that the burqa (and a few other aspects of Muslim culture) is incompatible with non-Muslim societies, or even modern societies.

I must applaud the guts of the jewellers.

hm, makes some sense, but You can do it otherwise. These women can give their fingerprints at the entrance or whatever
    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

Comment

Jewellers deny entry to a Kumkum wearing gentleman.
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Sounds O.K. IMHO,
        after all they don´t want these women to shop completely without Burqua but just to remove the Headscarf once so that the security camera can film their face.

People who don´t even want to comply with such rather moderate security procedures will have to live with the fact that people might think that they don´t ant to be identified because they are out to steal something and they have to live with the fact that there will be some shops which don´t want to take this risk.
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson
          hm, makes some sense, but You can do it otherwise. These women can give their fingerprints at the entrance or whatever
          Interesting idea.
          Very propably they won´t find any religious argument that keeps them from giving fingerprints.
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

yes they will. they always find a way
            "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST

Interesting idea.
              Very propably they won´t find any religious argument that keeps them from giving fingerprints.
              Why should jewellers go the the extra expense of setting up something like that? It's not their responsibility to cater to some loonie people's whims. If today I invented a religion which mandated the burqa and forbade me from giving out my fingerprints, must they set up an iris scanner for me? And even if you had someone's fingerprints, that won't be sufficient information to identify them. We in India don't maintain a database of every single person's fingerprints.

Comment

Yes, it's ridiculous. However people yield. Some people due to religion, don't have their pics in their IDs, here. They think it steals their soul.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

I could see a thief dressing up in a Burka.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Az
                    Yes, it's ridiculous. However people yield. Some people due to religion, don't have their pics in their IDs, here. They think it steals their soul.
                    Moishe! (for not saying Jeez)
                    "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                    "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                      I could see a thief dressing up in a Burka.
                      I thought that was the point. Lets assume for a moment that the actual thiefs were not even MUslim but just used the burkha for the stealing purpose. That strengthens the jewellers views.

I don't see this as a no-burkha policy so much as it is a " no one comes in that we cannot identify". Sounds completely reasonable to me.
                      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

sadly, reasonability and religion can not be used in the same sentence.

Comming to think of it, this is probably the only sentence in which they can be used together...

*confused and a little bit drunk*
                        "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Completely reasonable. Unfortunate that religious beliefs are impractical sometimes.
                          "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                          -Joan Robinson

Comment

IT would be interesting to see if this type of thing would ever be applied in Canada. On really cold days, a LOT of people wear full head coverings. I guess jewellers could require its removal but then again, here, anything of real value is usually inside a glass case anyway.
                            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Most buildings are heated Flubber. Take the toque/ski mask off when you enter.
                              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X