Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jesus, Christmas, Evolution: A Solution for the Future.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jesus, Christmas, Evolution: A Solution for the Future.

Sarah McLachlan sings John Lennon's Happy Christmas (War is Over) performed the other night at Rockefeller Center.

Yesterday I watched Borat tearing America apart at the seams, and splitting my sides at the same time.
    edit: sorry, forgot to say why I mentioned Borat. When I watched the part where he gets "saved" by the Pastor, I literally felt like we live in a time similar to the ignorant religions of our long forgotten pasts, where we worshipped ridiculous things in ridiculous ways.

I find it sad that we have blown religion out of proportion - expanded it to uncontrollable, unusable, unreasonable proportions.

Here we have this song, originally sung by John Lennon, he himself was a free thinker and wished the world to be united and free of religion. Yet he sings this Christmas song?

Then it got me thinking, even though we are descendents of apes, that does not mean we should act like one, we humans have the unique ability to evolve quickly and powerfully.

I propose we do not trash religion out the window completely, but take what is good from it, the teachings, and throw the rest away. Afterall, it is evolution that gave us religion, there was and is a reason for its existence, but it is time now to stop acting like teenagers and become a man, we should be entering a stage now where we can celebrate christmas not for religious reasons, but because of the applicably good things Jesus - 100% human being and great teacher - taught us all, that is what we should be celebrating during christmas, the good things we learned from all of histories good teachers.
    Last edited by FrostyBoy; December 28, 2006, 00:31.
    be free

Stop these philosophising threads and go make us a graphics pack for Civ4

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I'm working on Humanitas! Civ4 is not good enough for me to work on. Sorry!
      be free

Comment

WTF is Humanitas?
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Re: Jesus, Christmas, Evolution: A Solution for the Future.

Originally posted by Sn00py
          Afterall, it is evolution that gave us religion, there was and is a reason for its existence
          Actually that's not true. Evolution doesn't have a reason, and genetic evolutions don't have to beneficial for us. Genes care about their procreation and continued existence, not about the carriers of those genes.

You can compare religions or the spreading of ideas in general (or memetic evolution in other words) to genetic evolution. In that perspective ideas/memes only care about their own spreading and continued existence, and not whether those ideas/memes are beneficial for us. Thus you could consider religion a virus which is clouding sound thinking.
          Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
          Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Shiva: there is a forum on Apolyton here: http://www.apolyton.net/forums/forum...s=&forumid=254

Info is not outdated but the screens are a bit.
            be free

Comment

What I want to know is, is religion still evolving?
              www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Unfortunately natural selection doesn't really serve our needs anymore. Humans live way longer than it takes us to procreate now.

edit: Oops... by evolution, I actually meant natural selection
                Last edited by Victor Galis; December 28, 2006, 03:41.
                "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                -Joan Robinson

Comment

We are all subjected to evolution, it is the one thing we cannot ascend from.

To me, evolution simply means change.
                  be free

Comment

Working...
                  X