John Edwards Joins Presidential Race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
    Hopefully this time he doesn't get placed on any VP lists after he gets his ass beat in the primaries.
    Check the polls in Iowa and New Hampshire. He's positioned himself well there.

Comment

Originally posted by DinoDoc
      He's not dead.
      No, but he's Canadian. The two are very similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
        I think he could win the distinction of "shallowest candidate".
        I believe this reward is reserved for the republican candidates...
        "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Here's an email I received from John...

I'm writing to you from New Orleans, where tomorrow I will announce that I am a candidate for president of the United States.

I'm announcing here because no place better demonstrates the two Americas I've talked about for a long time. But even more important, no place better demonstrates the power people have when they -- not Washington -- take responsibility and take action to build the America we believe in.

Click here to watch a preview on YouTube of what I'm going to talk about tomorrow.

I'm running to ask millions of Americans to take responsibility and take action to change our country and ensure America's greatness in the 21st century.

And I'm asking you to play a crucial role in this campaign.

Last week I asked if you were ready to take our effort to change America to the next level. Thousands of letters have come in, and the answer was an overwhelming yes -- we're in this together.

That's why I'm asking you to help spread the word in your area by holding your own local "Citizens' Launch" event tomorrow. It just takes a few minutes to set up, and anyone can do it.

Click here to download a step-by-step guide and everything you need to hold your own Citizens' Launch this week.

We know what we need to do. Changing our country means:

Providing moral leadership in the world -- starting with Iraq, where we should begin drawing down troops, not escalating the war
          Strengthening our middle class and ending the shame of poverty
          Guaranteeing health care for every single American
          Leading the fight against global warming
          Getting America and the world to break our addiction to oil
          That's not just my vision –- it's our vision. And we can't wait for the next president to take office to begin fundamentally changing our country.

And the truth is, we don't have to wait. Since I left Washington, I've seen firsthand the power that ordinary people have when we work together.

We worked with thousands of volunteers to raise the minimum wage in six states – and we got it done. We're making the first year of college free for young people in Greene County, North Carolina. And we've been working from the grassroots up to organize workers so they can stand up for their rights and earn a decent living.

And this week in New Orleans, I've been working with young people who gave up part of their Christmas vacation to work on rebuilding and helping those in need -- just like the hundreds of college students who came here to work with me during their Spring Break earlier this year.

This is the kind of commitment to solving our problems that I've seen time and time again over the last two years – and it reaffirms one of the great lessons of my whole life. The power of America doesn't lie in Washington; the true power of America is in the people of America.

That's why we're getting ready to launch a campaign that says to everyone who wants to take responsibility for our future: we can't wait until tomorrow. We must act now.

Tomorrow begins today.

Your friend,

John

P.S. Please forward this email or the YouTube video to your friends and family and ask them to join us.

P.P.S. And join me Thursday for an Online Town Hall live from Des Moines, Iowa. Visit JohnEdwards.com to participate. The event begins at 6PM ET / 3PM PT.I'm writing to you from New Orleans, where tomorrow I will announce that I am a candidate for president of the United States.

I'm announcing here because no place better demonstrates the two Americas I've talked about for a long time. But even more important, no place better demonstrates the power people have when they -- not Washington -- take responsibility and take action to build the America we believe in.

Click here to watch a preview on YouTube of what I'm going to talk about tomorrow.

I'm running to ask millions of Americans to take responsibility and take action to change our country and ensure America's greatness in the 21st century.

And I'm asking you to play a crucial role in this campaign.

Last week I asked if you were ready to take our effort to change America to the next level. Thousands of letters have come in, and the answer was an overwhelming yes -- we're in this together.

That's why I'm asking you to help spread the word in your area by holding your own local "Citizens' Launch" event tomorrow. It just takes a few minutes to set up, and anyone can do it.

Click here to download a step-by-step guide and everything you need to hold your own Citizens' Launch this week.

We know what we need to do. Changing our country means:

Providing moral leadership in the world -- starting with Iraq, where we should begin drawing down troops, not escalating the war
          Strengthening our middle class and ending the shame of poverty
          Guaranteeing health care for every single American
          Leading the fight against global warming
          Getting America and the world to break our addiction to oil
          That's not just my vision –- it's our vision. And we can't wait for the next president to take office to begin fundamentally changing our country.

And the truth is, we don't have to wait. Since I left Washington, I've seen firsthand the power that ordinary people have when we work together.

We worked with thousands of volunteers to raise the minimum wage in six states – and we got it done. We're making the first year of college free for young people in Greene County, North Carolina. And we've been working from the grassroots up to organize workers so they can stand up for their rights and earn a decent living.

And this week in New Orleans, I've been working with young people who gave up part of their Christmas vacation to work on rebuilding and helping those in need -- just like the hundreds of college students who came here to work with me during their Spring Break earlier this year.

This is the kind of commitment to solving our problems that I've seen time and time again over the last two years – and it reaffirms one of the great lessons of my whole life. The power of America doesn't lie in Washington; the true power of America is in the people of America.

That's why we're getting ready to launch a campaign that says to everyone who wants to take responsibility for our future: we can't wait until tomorrow. We must act now.

Tomorrow begins today.

Your friend,

John

P.S. Please forward this email or the YouTube video to your friends and family and ask them to join us.

P.P.S. And join me Thursday for an Online Town Hall live from Des Moines, Iowa. Visit JohnEdwards.com to participate. The event begins at 6PM ET / 3PM PT.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
            Check the polls in Iowa and New Hampshire. He's positioned himself well there.
            It's incredibly early. Hopefully he doesn't win the nomination, because that'd be one vote for a Democrat candidate you'd most definately lose, Zkrib. I'm not voting for that moron.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

YouTube? Seriously? I think that should automatically disqualify a presidential candidate - advertising on YouTube. Come on, Edwards.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Edwards hasn't got a clue (on anything really), so him on YouTube doesn't surprise me.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

So far, Edwards is the most viable democratic candidate.
                  Certainly over Obama and Miz Clinton.

My opinion.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Obama is far, far, far better then Edwards.

Hell, Gore is better than Edwards.

Comment

Is Obama electable? I don't care about the colour or creed of a candidate but I'm not a typical US voter.
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Two years in the senate. Four by then. Still not enough experience. Still not going to vote for Obama. Plus, isn't he a terrorist?
                        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

It's silly to disregard YouTube out of hand.

YouTube costs nothing to put an ad you already have on. I fail to see why using it would necessarily be a bad thing. It can't be any worse than paying to show the same clip on TV, or going live with the same message at a press conference. Especially considering just about anything of note invariably will end up on YouTube anyways.

Anyone have a link to it? Too bad it's probably just going to be the same tripe that would show on any political TV ad anyways. It would be awesome to see a cannidate start (unscripted) blogging, interacting with the community. I know it would probably be political suicide, but I could at least respect someone willing to state the way they think instead of a reciting some speech writer's interpretation of the campaign manager's views about what will garner the most votes.

(Why don't we just elect a muppet? They could recite the same speeches...)

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                            Two years in the senate. Four by then. Still not enough experience. Still not going to vote for Obama. Plus, isn't he a terrorist?
                            Edwards isn't much better. 5 years in the Senate when he ran for VP, almost 6 by the time of the election. He hasn't done any political office since then, IIRC.

Comment

I'm not registered anywhere, so that probably rules out me voting anytime soon.
                              "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                              -Joan Robinson

Comment

Yay! He was from a region geographically disparate from Kerry's! Look at how helpful he was in winning Southern states for Kerry!
                                "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Working...
                                X