From Far and Wide, Video Gamers Join in a Child Charity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Far and Wide, Video Gamers Join in a Child Charity

I wonder if maybe this might be suitable for an Apolyton News item?

From Far and Wide, Video Gamers Join in a Child Charity

The young patients at Seattle Children’s Hospital awoke this Christmas Day to gifts from a sprawling culture not frequently associated with charity: video gamers.

It has been three years since Eve Kopp, associate director at Seattle Children’s, was approached by an organization called Child’s Play, . . .

Child’s Play was midwived by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins, better known to gamers as Gabe and Tycho of Penny-Arcade.com, . . . Their charity, . . . has gone global, . . . not only in the United States but also in Canada, Britain, Egypt and Australia. . . .

. . . Each participating hospital works with Child’s Play to build a wish list on Amazon.com. Gamers turn to those lists, where they buy items to be shipped to the hospital or donate money through a PayPal account. . . .
    The entire article, well worth the minute or two it takes to read it, is at: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/27/us/27charity.html
    I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Penny Arcade
    This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Showing-up that blowhard Jack Thompson
      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Tycho should never be allowed to show his grim visage to the public at large. I think he would agree with me on this.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

This has been going on for a few years now...
          B♭3

Comment

Working...
          X