• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those are different pictures Asher.
    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
      4:3 on the top, 16:9 (widescreen) on the bottom:

Good propaganda. Should I sdearch for an image of some skyscraper and cut off the top in 16:9 in order to prove the superiority of 4:3?
      "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
      "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

No, because that's not how it works.

When you watch your TV shows and movies on a 4:3 screen, you're not seeing the full image. The sides are cut off.

This is how it works in the real world...TV shows and movies are filmed in widescreen now and then trimmed to 4:3 for SDTV broadcasts. When you watch them in HDTV you can see the full screen.

So the above comparison is exactly accurate, which is why I cannot fathom why people would prefer 4:3.

I have never seen an instance where you see a more complete image with 4:3. In every single instance, 4:3 shows the 16:9 feed with the sides cut off. At least, this is how TV shows and Movies work...
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

When you watch your TV shows and movies on a 4:3 screen, you're not seeing the full image. The sides are cut off.
          Rubbish. You get black lines at the top and bottom.
          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

You guys ought to educate yourself...

Go to a friend's house (or an electronics store...). When a show is on the TV in HDTV, switch it to the non-widescreen feed.

You don't gain any image on the top/bottom of the screen, you just lose the images on the edge of the widescreen version.

The sooner you guys get your head around this, the better. 4:3 < 16:9, in that 4:3 is a cropped 16:9. There is no gain in vertical image with 4:3, just a loss in horizontal image.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Doddler
              Rubbish. You get black lines at the top and bottom.
              Not always, only if it's a widescreen program.

Look at 99% of primetime programming on TV. It's full 4:3 on SDTV, and 16:9 on HDTV.

The HDTV widescreen version shows exactly what the 4:3 version has, plus more on the sides.

Comment

You guys ought to educate yourself...
                That should be yourselves.

Quite frankly I don't watch TV for the bits at the sides anyway, and I don't care if I miss something because that would be poor camerawork and not worth seeing anyway. Plus I don't want to see characters all stumpy and squat.
                www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Quite frankly I don't watch TV for the bits at the sides anyway, and I don't care if I miss something because that would be poor camerawork and not worth seeing anyway. Plus I don't want to see characters all stumpy and squat.
                  Stretched images look like ass, I agree. That's why most sane people put up with the black bars on the sides instead of stretching it.

Widescreen > 4:3. It's just a simple fact. Get used to it.

Comment

Some people watch TV too much I think..you shouldn't be this passionate over a bit of electronics !
                    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Nothing intense about it, just dishing out a lesson to my uneducated English friends.

Comment

When you don't even realise that American TV standards are different to here.
                        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

That should be yourselves.

Wow. You just don't give a ****ing **** about the director's and artist's intents, do you? And you just don't have a ****ing clue about what this debate is really about, do you?

I guess that's fine. You go back to your fullscreen stuff, I'll keep my widescreen/widescreen anamorphic format DVDs.

As far as different formats, are you speaking of PAL/NTSC? Because HDTV, which is generally what's used with newer widescreen televisions, ignores that difference.
                          B♭3

Comment

When you don't even realise that American TV standards are different to here.
                            What?

The European DTV standard is 16:9...just like the "American" one.

This is what I mean by education...we ain't talking about NTSC vs PAL. We're talking about widescreen vs non.

Comment

Geeks and their toys
                              www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Actually, it's not so much that, and certain geeks who get their knickers in a twist when some ignorant git speaks out of his depth.

Personally, I'm more offended by your callous disregard for an artist's craft--saying that the "fullscreen" version is suitable and that all the extra detail is "bad camerawork"...

Ah, well, you're not a film critic anyway, so what does it matter?
                                B♭3

Comment

Working...
                                X