Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: Worst BBC article ever?

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp

You'll notice that the article is clearly labelled as being an opinion piece, so the BBC is not claiming that at all. This "personal reflection" might state so, and I've no doubt that fairly soon we'll see a contrasting opinon.
    BBC is just as unreliable as Fox News, apparently.

Originally posted by civman2000
    That is so not the worst BBC article ever. This is: http://www.bbc.co.uk/berkshire/conte..._feature.shtml
    Hmm. You may have won this battle.
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Persecuted, not prosecuted. Please ...

Most LDS that I know have been pretty moderate compared to some of the religious right. Not particularly aggressive in converting, although they have a sneaky way of doing it (putting on plays for kids and such). Not particularly aggressive politically, either (outside of Utah of course).
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

my fathers side of the family were early followers of Joseph Smith. Not something I'm proud to admit. My father wasn't religious at all, however. Which leads me to believe LDS doesn't have any staying power. They need something to keep people interested.

Comment

They do. Multiple virgins in this life. It's really sweet if you have status in the community. Not so much if you are a younger son of a nobody, or a young female.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

That is offshoots, it is claimed.

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

But I am reminded of the Mormon episode of south park.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Worst BBC article ever?

Originally posted by Tacc

BBC is just as unreliable as Fox News, apparently.

BBC is awful - and you don't have watch their evening news with the ridiculous "Special Reports" (usually about African poverty, ASBOs, or the environment )
                www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Polygamy hasn't been part of the LDS church for over 100 years. There are a few weirdos who used to be in the church that still practice it, but they are excommunicated for it, and/or voluntarily left to practice their own religion.

Comment

I was replying to Dis...
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I see, you were suggesting they take it back up...

Comment

I was doing nothing of the sort.

I was being outrageous in the spirit of Dis. I thought the comparison to Islamic martyrhood would establish that. However, since you are interested, I really don't care to distinguish between Orthodox and Catholic.

Polygamy is something that the orthodox (or is that catholic?) of LDS may declaim from the pulpit, but it is still a part of the culture or you wouldn't have 'a few weirdos who used to be in the church that still practice it' or who 'voluntarily left to practice their own religion.'
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                          but it is still a part of the culture
                          No.
                          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

NYE, you might as well claim that Mormons are Lutherans, Lutherans are Catholics... or even that Christians are Jews. The only connection is (one of) their Holy Book(s).

The main polygamist groups do not claim to be LDS. For the most part they broke off from the LDS Church back in the 1890's, though some broke off earlier, or were never even part of the LDS Church to begin with. (Interestingly enough, the largest of these groups, the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of LDS, with 5-10k membership, is based in 4 communities in Utah, Arizona, Texas, and British Columbia respectively... Polygamy is part of Canadian culture? )

The "nutjobs" who used to be members that I refered to are more recent, and far less numerous. They invariably are lead by a patriarch who claims to be Jesus, or that their son is Jesus, or the more "rational" ones that God appeared to them and told them to start a new religion. They have a handful of followers at best, and tend to get in trouble with the law for tax evasion (or child abuse... "My son is Jesus... he can fast for 40 days and 40 nights"...) rather than polygamy. They are as much part of LDS culture as the nutjobs standing on streetcorners with cardboard signs proclaiming that they are Jesus are part of [whatever Christian demonimation they were raised in] culture.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                              But I am reminded of the Mormon episode of south park.

JM
                              DumbDumbDumbDumbDumb!!

I loved that episode
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Aeson, that last paragraph made me think of David Koresh.
                                USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
                                The video may avatar is from

Comment

Working...
                                X