X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cocaine on 94 percent of Spanish banknotes

A little amazing to me.

Tue Dec 26, 8:31 AM ET

MADRID, Dec 24 (Reuters Life!) - Traces of cocaine can be found on 94 percent of banknotes in Spain, a country that has one of the world's highest rates of users, according to a study published on Sunday.

The 100 notes tested were collected in gyms, supermarkets and pharmacies across Spain, where increased affluence and falling street prices have made the drug more and more accessible.

Cocaine now sells for as little as 60 euros ($80) a gram, or 5 euros ($7) a line, and it is regularly used by 1.6 percent of Spaniards, up from 0.9 percent in 1999, a government report said this month.

Law enforcement agencies say cocaine is getting cheaper and more popular in Europe because of efforts to boost production by Colombian paramilitaries and rebels who need money for weapons. Spain is a major entry point to Europe for the smugglers.

It was not clear how many of the notes had been used to snort cocaine and how many had picked up traces from other bills, according to the study by the Sailab laboratory, published in the daily El Mundo.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

apolyton.com
      This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Similar in US

There was a similar study with similar results in the US during the late 90s.
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

'people like cocaine' shock?
          Last edited by reds4ever; December 26, 2006, 15:54.

Comment

I always though it was supposed to be a laid back country.

Comment

Have they done any studies to show how many banknotes one "infected" banknote can pass traces on to? I don't find these studies very informative.
              www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Comment

It must be easy enough to find a significance level below which it can be assumed the cocaine has been inherited from a neighbouring note. Of course that wouldn't make for a headline-grabbing statistic or good story.
                  www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Working...
                  X