Ethiopia Bombs Mogadishu:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GePap
    Any poster here who thinks sanding weapons to Ethipopia will in the end help finish off the anarchy is either deluded or simply does not care that thousands more will die
    I dunno, maybe if we sand them, their weapons will malfunction
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

It is possible that supporting one side to become the strongest will end the conflict faster. But why should it be Ethiopia of all? They have lost nothing in Somalia. Also, why do I get the feeling Ethiopia will not be the only country to receive arm sales offers from western countries? France?

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither

Aren't the good guys a UN supported government?
        The UN recognized government unfortunately couldn't get control of the country, could not get control of the warlords. That is why the Islamists won and were basically about to route them. Just arming their Ethiopian allies won't do much to make that bunch of folks any more capable.
        If you don't like reality, change it! me
        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
          It is possible that supporting one side to become the strongest will end the conflict faster. But why should it be Ethiopia of all? They have lost nothing in Somalia. Also, why do I get the feeling Ethiopia will not be the only country to receive arm sales offers from western countries? France?
          Ethiopia has gone to war with Somalia a couple of times - there are lots of ethnic somalians in Ethiopia and the Islamist were urging Somalis in Ethiopia to rise up, in order to form some greater Somalia, so its pretty obvious to see why Ethiopia is getting involved.

Comment

Who's willing to bet Eretria is going to join in this war soon...

Comment

Didn't Ethiopia just recently fight a WW1-style war against Eritrea, with a million dead?
              So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
              Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Like 5 years ago
                I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm

Then it is our dharmic duty to aid Ethiopia!

Onward, noble Kshatriya armies! To the Dharmayuddha!

That's the spirit!

AETHIOPIA!!!!
                  "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                  I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                  Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                    It's "naan"

And the settlers will be South Indian, and we don't eat naan.
                    This was
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
                      Didn't Ethiopia just recently fight a WW1-style war against Eritrea, with a million dead?
                      Yep, WWI style. Which is relatively advanced, most of the rest of Africa except South African Republic and Egypt can only wage war in European Thirty Years war fashion. At least that's my understanding from reading the War Nerd. Speaking of whom, he's probably going to be pretty excited over this as he has a thing for Horn of Africa.

Personally I'm an admirer of Eritrea, so I'll be keeping an eye on this conflict too.

Comment

Anyone got any figures? I know what Ethiopia has with regards to manpower and tech, but what do these islamic courts have?

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                          Anyone got any figures? I know what Ethiopia has with regards to manpower and tech, but what do these islamic courts have?
                          Religious and nationalist zeal. That is about all. Ethiopia has a real army, the Islamists have a militia. Though it would probably be hard for them to capture Mogadishu without significant losses.

And supposedly Eritrea has already been arming and helping the Islamists as Ethiopian involvement had gone up.

Comment

Ethiopia has little to fear from Somalia and no reason not to bomb them. The Somalis have a miserable organized offensive force, are already fomenting problems by proxy (not openly), plus the Ethiopian attack was a strike with no ground troops.

Comment

Originally posted by TCO
                              Ethiopia has little to fear from Somalia and no reason not to bomb them. The Somalis have a miserable organized offensive force, are already fomenting problems by proxy (not openly), plus the Ethiopian attack was a strike with no ground troops.
                              Ethiopia has thousands of troops in Somalia already, helping the interim government at the front. This was just one attack against Mogadishu, but the main fighting is to the west and northwest of Mogadishu.

Comment

ok. But the bombing does not put them in more jeapordy.

Comment

Working...
                                X