• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Word "Sanction" in English Language

I think it's mindboggling how one word can be its own acronym

To sanction : to approve
    To sanction : to punish

Many words change meaning depending on context, but I think that very few change to exactly the opposite meaning.

Any other examples (not neccesserily in English)?

"Sanction" is an interesting word, in that, depending on context, it can have diametrically opposing meanings. Words like this are called contronyms.
    For example, the word "fast" can mean "moving quickly" as in "running fast", or it can mean "not moving" as in "stuck fast". To buckle can mean "to fasten" or "to bend then break". To weather can mean "to endure" or "to erode." This phenomenon is also called "enantionymy" or "antilogy".
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
      You kind of bastardize the definition.
      No, he didn't.

Example two: to cleve --

to cling together
      to chop apart

Comment

Sanction is about passing judgement or enacting laws. The judgement itself can go either way.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Also, a lot of slang has meant words are their antonym (not acronym) due to deliberate contradiction.

'Wicked' for example.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

VetLegion's behind the curve. Forgive him, I don't think English is his first language.
            B♭3

Comment

From Webster's NewWorld Dictionary:

Sanction ... 1. the act of a recognized authority confirming or ratifying an action...

5. a coercive measure

[A good example of this latter definition is found in California Code of Civil Procedure 21 2023.030(a), which reads, "The court may impose a monetary sanction ordering that one engaging in the misuse of the discovery process, or any attorney advising that conduct, or both pay the reasonable expenses, including attorney's fees, incurred by anyone as a result of that conduct."]

Comment

It's not just in English. In Danish, at sanktionere (= to sanction) can mean both to approve and to mete out punishment, depending on the context. VetLegion is not behind anything, he is exactly correct.

Comment

How about citation:

You get one from a cop it is bad news.
                  You get one from the mayor and its good news.

Comment

Or getting a fine from a judge is not...fine

Comment

Re: The Word "Sanction" in English Language

Originally posted by VetLegion
                      I think it's mindboggling how one word can be its own acronym

To sanction : to approve
                      To sanction : to punish
                      I think you meant antonym

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                        "Sanction" is an interesting word, in that, depending on context, it can have diametrically opposing meanings. Words like this are called contronyms.
                        For example, the word "fast" can mean "moving quickly" as in "running fast", or it can mean "not moving" as in "stuck fast". To buckle can mean "to fasten" or "to bend then break". To weather can mean "to endure" or "to erode." This phenomenon is also called "enantionymy" or "antilogy".
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

The word blive means either become or remain. Since the meaning to the native speaker is always obvious from the context, I was hardly aware of it at all before helping my American friend out with her homework.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                            Sanction is about passing judgement or enacting laws. The judgement itself can go either way.
                            Dauphin's hit the nail on the head here. This works for Sloww's examples too:

Something can weather well or weather badly. Something can move fast or be stuck fast.

These come from the fact that their meaning is not contingent on the word itself, but on another word that goes with it (well/badly/move/stuck). The fact people say "this has weathered" is actually just poor English, where common usage has dropped the "badly".

Buckle is different, however, as to buckle comes from the noun buckle. Many words have two meanings, and buckle had as such with the noun buckle and the verb meaning to bend and break. However people referred to the act fo fastening a buckle as "to buckle" and so it now is a contronym.

Most contronyms only have one meaning, however there is a value-judgement that needs to go with it to state whether it's a positive or negative effect. (or fast/slow, etc.).
                            Smile
                            For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                            But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Originally posted by Drogue

Something can weather well or weather badly.

... the[] meaning is not contingent on the word itself, but on another word that goes with it (well/badly/move/stuck). The fact people say "this has weathered" is actually just poor English, where common usage has dropped the "badly".
                              Perhaps, then, better examples would be:

The ship weathered the storm.
                              The northern wall of the old house was weathered.

Comment

Working...
                              X