No announcement yet.

On Harry Potter and His World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I for one do not consider anyone primitive ever. Technology can be primitive, people aren't.
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

You're special.

Comment

So is Arthur Weasley
        Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Other points have been addressed, but

Originally posted by aneeshm
          Let us go one step further back, then. Let us assume that this "magic" gene was once scattered across human populations. If so, why did this concept of pure-blood exist? Because it happened that over time, all the people with the "magic" mutation were picked out by the magical community to become part of their own, and thus was selected out of the general population. Hermione could be a case of really, really long suppression of this gene.

This is the only model that actually makes sense in the given universe, IMO. Feel free to provide an alternate one which can be as consistent as this one if you can - I'd be genuinely interested.
          The pure blood concept existed because some people believe that folks should stick to their own kind. One of the reasons for magic folk to think this way is because warlock and witches have been persecuted by Muggles for generations. Therefore some wizards may consider them to be untrustworthy. Of course this DOES NOT apply to all wizards, as some are very fond of muggles, as seen by the fact that there has been a Minister of Magic for quite some time.

And if Hermione could be a really, really long suppression of the gene, then ANY muggle may be carrying such genes. So to push them down is silly because the greatest witch or wizard of the age could come from two muggles. If there is a caste-like system in Harry Potter then what happens when in your described 'lowest caste' muggles produce an amazing wizard? Do they jump castes... isn't that not supposed to be allowed?

The fact is that Rowling has been adamant the the book is about the idiocy and silliness of discrimination as seen by the fact that Hermione is the most powerful student in Hogwarts in her class (and perhaps beyond). It's a sign to show how dumb it is that to those like the Malfoys she is considered a "mudblood" and beneath them when she will be far more powerful than Lucious if she lives to his age.

The caste analogy, furthermore, is ludicrious. No house is below any others. The fact that one is for the intelligent folk, one for the brave, one for the hard working and loyal, and one for the ambitious doesn't mean she was going for an Indian caste system. And, as pointed out, you completely stereotype, mistakenly, Slytherin house. It is ambitious, not necessarily evil. Slughorn is NOT evil. The hat wanted to put Harry in that house as well (and recall HARRY chose his house in the end, not the hat).

Recall Dumbledore's constant words that it is our ACTIONS not our ancestry that define who we are.

The "ultimately unjust world" would be the one if Voldemort took over. However, a vast majority of wizards do not agree with Voldemort, who wants to basically create your caste system.

In fact, Rowling makes it clear that the enemy wants a caste system, while the current structure is not one and folks like Dumbledore want to keep the structure as it is and not revert to a caste system.

It seems that you simply want to see India in places where it isn't. You are trying too hard.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
            One of the reasons for magic folk to think this way is because warlock and witches have been persecuted by Muggles for generations.
            How on earth can a non-magic-performing person persecute a magic-performing person?
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
              How on earth can a non-magic-performing person persecute a magic-performing person?
              See: Salem witch trials.

One can ask how in the X-Men stories non-mutants can persecute mutants, but it happens. Greater numbers and all that.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Those weren't real witches
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

How many mages are there? 1 in ten thousand? Or 1 in a hundred thousand? The overwhelming majority can easily make life a pain for that minority nonetheless.
                  Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                  I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

So does "persecute" mean the odd lynching here and there? Those could happen. But when your group can go all "avada kadavra" and "crucio" and dragon-riding on muggle ass, it's probably a lot harder.

Comment

Well, witch-burning exists in the HP universe. And persecution isn't necessarily physical. Pure speculation - at one time the mages tried to live openly, not hiding their nature from the rest. In the end, they were excommunicated, people wouldn't want to talk to them and give them services and would otherwise avoid and shun the mages. I'd say that even that, without any physical persecution, would be enough to make the mages decide that they should not be open about being magical.
                      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                        Those weren't real witches
                        In the Harry Potter universe they were... but in the HP universe those witches condemned did not die (because of magic), and some actually enjoyed it.

Comment

Oh great! Another, the villain is really right essay in some popular work of fiction. We are witnessing the final death throws of creativity.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                            We are witnessing the final death throws of creativity.
                            But not of creativity of spelling, thankfully

Comment

One can ask how in the X-Men stories non-mutants can persecute mutants, but it happens. Greater numbers and all that.
                              Yeah, and Giant ****ing Robots . Bit of a special case there.

Incidently, there is an inherent disdain for all things muggle, even within the "good guys" of the Wizard community. You can tell the respect they have for the community with "oh hai just show you know there's a buncha of d00dz who wanna kill or enslave you. just so you know. by the way we don't want you to be involved beyond just you knowing. kk? thx."

We're talking about a community that is so out of touch wiht the incredible vast majority of the HUman race that they need to be explained what a ****ing gun is. Which tells me that it doesn't occur to them to, say, ask Tony Blair to loan out an SAS sniper to pop Voldemort a mile out. After all, tose poor widdle muggles just can't do anything Wizards can do!
                              Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar
                                Which tells me that it doesn't occur to them to, say, ask Tony Blair to loan out an SAS sniper to pop Voldemort a mile out.

Comment

Working...
                                X