No announcement yet.

I hate Best Buy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tassi, the policy of not allowing store credit to be exchanged for gift cards is an industry standard.

For many stores, Store Credit is "merchandise equivalent", while gift cards are "cash equivalent". They're important from an accounting point of view. Also, many stores have different policies with the expiration of gift cards as opposed to store credit.

More importantly, however, Store Credit has a significance to loss prevention. A decent amount of theft is actually theft of easily stolen product, which is then returned to that store, or a different one in the chain, for store credit, which is then used to buy something that is easier to resell. Imagine someone stealing lousy DVDs that the store left out of keepers due to their cheapness and lousiness. Then, return a few dozen of them, and return it for store credit, and then a few days later buy an iPod. It happens all the time... Thus, it is important to be able to track store credit purchases. Thieves often want to make this more difficult by lengthening the trail. (And this happens even with receipts sometimes, as a thief can easily find a receipt on the floor, go find what's on the receipt, and then later return it... they're crafty, those thieves)

So don't expect to be able to exchange store credit for a gift card at any retail store you go to. Some may allow it, but it's very common not to, for the above reasons (and quite possibly others as well, I don't work that high up to know all of the accounting type issues).
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Tassi, the policy of not allowing store credit to be exchanged for gift cards is an industry standard.

Interesting. I am not attempting to get a gift card, though.
      Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
      Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by Tassi
        I typically don't shop at Best Buy due to horror stories of their customer service and, now, my own experience
        I had great customer service at Best Buy. They were out of an advertised DVD but had the more expensive "Deluxe Release Blah Blah.." version. I only wanted the movie, not the extras and told them so. They gave me the Deluxe for the lower price.

(Dr. Strangelove if anyone cares).
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

SAMKOK88 merupakan agen slot online terbaik dengan bocoran slotnya yang paling ampuh anti rungkad serta mudah meraih maxwin besar.

Comment

The customer is always right.

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Tassi

Interesting. I am not attempting to get a gift card, though.
              Yes you are. That's the only thing that they can give you, as they undoubtedly have no ability to sell store credit directly. Our registers simply don't allow it, and I see no reason why theirs would.

Honestly I'd probably *suggest* what you suggested - buying something with half of it and then returning that something - if someone wanted to do what you want to do. However, 99% of people want 'regular' gift cards, not store credit. (Does Best Buy give you a gift card or certificate for the store credit? If they don't, it may not be transferable anyway...)

Comment

Best Buy has good deals on flat panal TVs.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis
                  Honestly, they more than make up for this by actually having games I want to buy when I want to buy them.
                  not for me. They are always sold out. I almost always have to go to fry. Very little shelf space devoted to PC games anymore.

Best Buy
                  Frys

Comment

Frys is paradise for geeks and techies.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                      Best Buy has good deals on flat panal TVs.
                      Other than thanksgiving/christmas specials, or discontinued models, this would surprise me greatly ... though I suppose I am not in the market for this sort of thing very often. However, it was my understanding that the walmart ad on TV right now is pretty much targeting Best Buy ...

But maybe i'm just taking their usual overpricing of cameras, computer goods, etc. and assuming

Comment

B&M stores generally don't have good deals on TVs.
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369

Other than thanksgiving/christmas specials, or discontinued models, this would surprise me greatly ... though I suppose I am not in the market for this sort of thing very often. However, it was my understanding that the walmart ad on TV right now is pretty much targeting Best Buy ...

But maybe i'm just taking their usual overpricing of cameras, computer goods, etc. and assuming
                          Someone I know from work was able to get a 42 inch plasma tv for 999.99. I dont remember the brand, but I think that was a good deal.
                          Donate to the American Red Cross.
                          Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

contact the corp office, they usually like to keep customers happy
                            anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Working...
                            X