No announcement yet.

What are the limits....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're also ignoring the fact that you only heat one side of the ball. You should use as the are of the ball pi*r*r instead of 4*pi*r*r when you figure out your maximal effective mirror size. You still have to use 4*pi*r*r when you're talking radiative cooling, however.

Let a be the absorption coefficient
    e be the emission coefficient
    m be the mass of iron you wish to heat in kg
    p be the mass density of iron in kg/m^3
    s be the power per unit area of solar radiation at the earth's surface in W/m^2
    c be the heat capacity of iron in J/(K*kg)
    sigma be the stefan boltzmann constant
    n be the number of maximally sized mirrors
    and T0 be the ambient temperature (i.e. starting temp of metal) then a good approximation is:

dT/dt = [pi*(r^2)*n*s*a - 4*pi*r^2*sigma*(T^4)*e]/(m*c)

with r = (3m/4*pi)^(1/3)

unfortunately I have no idea how to integrate 1/(1-x^4) to get an analytic solution...
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

You're also ignoring the fact that you only heat one side of the ball. You should use as the are of the ball pi*r*r instead of 4*pi*r*r when you figure out your maximal effective mirror size. You still have to use 4*pi*r*r when you're talking radiative cooling, however.
      I didn't ignore that, that''s what I've done, too. I've taken the area to he heated to be pi*r**2, and I've taken the area for heat loss to be four times that.

Comment

with r = (3m/4*pi)^(1/3)

unfortunately I have no idea how to integrate 1/(1-x^4) to get an analytic solution...
        Partial Fractions?
        1/(1-x^4)=A/(1+x^2) + B/(1-x) + C/(1+x)

where A=1/2 and B=C=1/4 unless I made a mistake in the calculation...

Comment

I hate partial fractions.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I assumed it was something like that, but for some reason I thought it wouldn't work out because of the A term.

I guess you can do integration by parts on that. Or a clever trig substitution.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I assumed it was something like that, but for some reason I thought it wouldn't work out because of the A term.

I guess you can do integration by parts on that. Or a clever trig substitution.
              yeah in the reals the 1/1+x^2 is some trig function or something.
              It's probably in a basic table.

Btw I was going to edit my previous post to add a snide comment about this being college level math and questioning physicist's ability at integrating basic function, but my browser was being slow and by the time I was able to load it, it was too late

I like partial fractions because in a way they have nothing to do with integration, and you can use them for many things.

Comment

There was a myth busters episode about this. They were trying to recreate Archimedes mythological death ray. No one could do it.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Chegitz - this is not an attempt to re-create Archimedes' death ray. This is a proven technology that is known to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Lul Thyme

yeah in the reals the 1/1+x^2 is some trig function or something.
                    It's probably in a basic table.
                    I think it's an arctan or smething. Not sure.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I used to be better at integrating, but it's been a while since I've had to integrate anything challenging analytically
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I think it's an arctan or smething. Not sure.
                        Yep.
                        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                        -Bokonon

Comment

BTW Krazyhorse (or anybody interested), partial fractions "always work", if you know all the tricks.
                          That is if you have a polynomial that factors (f=g*h), you can always find polynomials m,n such that 1/f=m/g+n/h.

This means that any rational function can be integrated in principle, and in fact in practice if you know the roots.

Comment

Working...
                          X