Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to partition my hard drive for Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to partition my hard drive for Linux?

I'm going to install Ubuntu 6.1 soon, and need to figure out how to partition my drives for it. I'm going to use 50GB on my 150GB WD Raptor (the other 100 is for Windows), and leave the 320GB and three 500GB drives for files (to be shared between Windows and Linux).

So what partition structure should I give it? 47GB root, 3GB swap? Should I make a home partition too? tmp?

Ari?
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Is this a fresh drive or are you resizing?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

It already has a 100GB partition on it, but the rest is currently unallocated.
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

Then the ubuntu installer should let you do as you please.

3GB swap is a lot but not overboard.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Three gigabytes of swap is vastly too much unless you're into compiling KDE with enablefinal and MAKEOPTS=-j8. Five hundred megabytes is the most you'll need. I'm barely breaking two hundred right now, and that's with swappiness=100 and a bunch of useless servers running. If it really does turn out that that's not enough, you can just make a swapfile.

Otherwise, just stick everything into a single partition. You won't gain any benefit from fancy partitioning schemes on a desktop with a few users at most.
          This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Sounds simple, I like it

I guess Linux swap works differently from Windows ("1.5 times RAM"), huh?

Comment

3 gigs of swap sounds a lot to me as well. I have 1 gigabyte and even that seems excessive.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                Sounds simple, I like it

I guess Linux swap works differently from Windows ("1.5 times RAM"), huh?
                Yeah. AFAIK, on Windows, all anonymous pages (basically, memory used for stacks and malloc()) must be backed by physical storage. On Linux, storage is allocated for anonymous pages when they are written out (if they ever are - it's only done if it seems the memory could be used for something more useful). I don't know all of the arguments for either approach, but offhand I can say that it has the upside of allowing amusingly large allocations on Linux (CMU Common Lisp allocates 1284 megabytes on startup here), and the downside that a successful malloc() does not actually mean that you can *use* that memory. You might just make the system run out of memory and go completely belly up as the dreaded OOM Killer goes around slaying anyone who seems to be using too much memory.
                This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Working...
                X