No Big Bang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Geronimo

Actually I think some of KH's notorious impatience and patronising might just have been a bit justified in this thread.
    It's always justified.

I think you'll notice that those who are not obdurate in their stupidity or ignorance do not run into it very often.

Those who refuse to admit when they should probably just shut up and listen are usually the target...

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse

We had a math grad student in my class when I took QFT II

The prof said "now we divide by the volume of the gauge group" and wrote down a (sqrt(pi))^inf on the bottom, cancelling it with the same term up top.

The math kid shuddered. We never saw him again.

That actually made me laugh.

I took a few physics classes at some point with a math friend of mine.

We would take offense at similar things.

In the end, I know that things can be justified properly under the right assumptions, but physicists just don't attach the same importance as mathematicians to that aspect I guess.

Comment

• I've taken enough analysis classes to know when things aren't quite right.

The good news is that we have experiments to back us up. When we make the wrong assumptions we see pretty quickly what's going wrong. Then we go back a second time and are a little more careful.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Ned
          I'd like to see this said at the next hearing for NASA science funding. It will really impress Congress and the American people.
          Perhaps a good portion of our national loss of dominence (and even competitiveness) in advanced research and technology development can be explained by the fact that anything funded by the government needs the approval of idiots.
          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• Everyone is an idiot on some subject or another. Interest in a field, even if it's unfounded speculation, should be welcomed by those with the knowlege in that field. It's an opportunity to be viewed as an expert. It's also a chance to bolster the support for your field in general.

If you throw that opportunity away, and even actively undermine the ways you and your field are viewed by being pretentious and insulting... who's the idiot?

One of the reasons we are less competitive in these fields is because of the way our society views them in general. Stereotypes are terrible things, but exist and have to be dealt with. Conforming to the stereotypes only serves to strengthen them.

Comment

• Christ, Ned, you need to educate yourself on the fundimentalis of Cosmology and General Relativity.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse

There are only 40000 of us in the whole world, and we're the smartest single group of people around.
                Us biologists would beg to differ.
                Last edited by Odin; December 18, 2006, 19:55.

Comment

• You know biophysicists are making huge advancements in the understanding of biology by applying simple physics techniques...

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• What do you call somebody who flunks out of physics grad school?

A biophysicist.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Mathematicians are the only ones who stand a chance against us...
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• I remember taking the second semester of undergrad QM with 3 chemistry grad students.

The identity map formed a bijection between the set of failing students and the set of chemmies in the class that semester.

Compared to the rest of my courseload that semester QM was a joke (outside of the second semester of analysis, which was pretty trivial)

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Odin

Us biologists would bed to differ.

Ohh thats cute.

Grammar mistakes and a sexual innuendo in the same comment.

A twofer with the plain idiocy of the intended statement rounding out the hat trick.
                          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Re: No Big Bang

Originally posted by Ned

The authors say that red-shifting is due to "tired light" and not due to movement away from Earth. Red shifting caused by motion works only if the Earth is the center of the universe and everything is moving away from us.
                            This right here demonstrates that the authors haven't got much of a clue about the established theory they're trying to argue against.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                              Eminem is MC Hammer taken to the second level.
                              I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

• Originally posted by Odin
                                Christ, Ned, you need to educate yourself on the fundimentalis of Cosmology and General Relativity.
                                I don't pretend to know much about the subject, which is why I ask "questions" instead of making statements. As I said in my opening post, I found this page on "tired light" on the web and I wanted our esteemed physics majors to explain what was wrong with it.

Well, the bottom line, I recieved no intelligent answers here. I did find out that light does, in fact, shift wavelenght as it travels across the universe. But this is caused by time and universe expansion, and perhaps by a change in gravitation, but not by any other known means. This confirms the BB theory, not the other way around.
                                http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Working...
                                X