Bringing back 0.99999 = 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ramo
    Again, please read a book on calculus for elucidation.
    No. Its much easier to ask professionals like you.

Spec.
    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Is it ever useful to represent 1 as .9999 repeating?
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger

You seem to be arguing that it's wrong to have two (or more) equivalent representations of the same quanitity.

"I have fifty cents."
        "WHY DON'T YOU JUST SAY YOU HAVE HALF A DOLLAR YOU STUPID JERK???"
        Ok....let me explain it in another way. Why does a calculator give you a result of 0.9999999 repeating if it equals 1?

Might sound like a stupid question though. But its not surprising coming from me so...

Spec.
        -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
          Is it ever useful to represent 1 as .9999 repeating?
          It would be somuch easier though.

Spec.

Comment

Because no calculator can handle infinite digits. When you divide 1 by 3, you don't get 1/3, but .333 cut off at some point. When you multiply that by 3, you get .999 cut off at some point.
            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
            -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
              Because no calculator can handle infinite digits.
              So 1 would be better no?

Spec.

Comment

I have never seen such a band of geeks in all my life.
                Who the **** cares? Point out something that's .9999999999999999999999999 of anything.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Spec
                  Ok....let me explain it in another way. Why does a calculator give you a result of 0.9999999 repeating if it equals 1?
                  Because calculators use finite-precision arithmetic. If you used a fancy-pants program like Mathematica then you'd probably get an answer of 1 instead of .9-to-however-many-digits-the-hardware-can-support. Most calculators don't have the memory/hardware necessary to make the conversion, though.
                  <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

So 1 would be better no?
                    Better for what?
                    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                    -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Spec
                      So 1 would be better no?
                      You're expecting herculean efforts out of the hardware for a cheap calculator.

When I enter 1/3, the calculator stores the answer in a fixed number of bits (say, 32 bits). This means that the answer stored in the calculator is not .3-repeating, but is instead .3-repeating carried out to 32 bits of precision. Then when I multiply this answer by 3, I get .9-repeating carried out to 32 bits of precision. Yes, it would be better if the calculator had infinite precision and computed an answer of 1. However, a run-of-the-mill calculator doesn't have the hardware capabilities to do this, so you get an imprecise result when you calculate (1 / 3) * 3
                      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                        I have never seen such a band of geeks in all my life.
                        Who the **** cares? Point out something that's .9999999999999999999999999 of anything.
                        Go away Texan.

Spec.

Comment

I tried something.

I used the claculator from windows and divided 1 by 3 and got .3333 repeating. Then multiplied it by 3 and got 1.

So yea, .9 repeating equals 1.

Spec.

Comment

But, if you put it on a graph, and make a ''timeline'', they never touch eachother. So, now I am undecided

What the **** are you talking about?

0.9999.... is a number, not a function. It doesn't "change". It doesn't "approach" anything.

It has a unique value. It's either equal to 1 or it's not. If it's not equal to 1 then it's some distance > 0 from 1.
                            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I know. I make too much sense.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                                But, if you put it on a graph, and make a ''timeline'', they never touch eachother. So, now I am undecided

What the **** are you talking about?

0.9999.... is a number, not a function. It doesn't "change". It doesn't "approach" anything.

It has a unique value. It's either equal to 1 or it's not. If it's not equal to 1 then it's some distance > 0 from 1.
                                Only from you should I have expected such an answer with the traditionnal KH Iknow it all WTF!!! answer.

Sorry if I dont know everything you know...

I'll watch you put a turbo on a car and instead of showing you how so you learn, I'll just say, WTF YOU DUMBASS!! THATS NOT HOW ITS DONE!!!

Spec.

Comment

Working...
                                X