The 2006 Election Season is Over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
    [q=MrFun]Why would independent voters vote for candidates, knowing there is little chance they will win [/q]

Um... because they agree with them the most? Silly me, I though Democracy was about voting for the person who has the closest views to yours. Hell, why vote anyway... just have the two headed monster decide everything.

Fixed -- you put Dis in when you quoted me.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I routinely vote for no chance in hell parties. During the last election I didn't like the two main candidates for governor so as a protest I voted for the Green Party candidate. The guy likely didn't even get 1% of the vote.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Imran
        I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
          I routinely vote for no chance in hell parties. During the last election I didn't like the two main candidates for governor so as a protest I voted for the Green Party candidate. The guy likely didn't even get 1% of the vote.

What is the difference between knowingly throwing your vote away like that, and abstaining from voting altogether?
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
            Your vote is more likely to have an effect if you vote for a political party that meets as much of your principles as possible, but still capable of showing strong competition during elections.
            No it isn't. How many elections are decided by 1 vote? Your vote is 1 out of how many millions? Sorry, not buying that argument.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

What is the difference between knowingly throwing your vote away like that, and abstaining from voting altogether?
              In one case you're going out and voting for someone, and that vote is counted. You've shown your support

In the other case, you're only counted as not voting. That could be a protest (as it was for me this election, in which I didn't have any candidates for whom I wanted to vote), or it could be apathy. The message isn't as clear, and people tend to treat them all as apathy.

Anyway, you're presupposing that all of us "Independent" voters prefer one major party over another. I disagree with both major parties pretty much equally. Thus, there's no reason for me to vote for either one of them unless they have a rogue candidate that's running on some platforms that contradict the party's position on those platforms.

Anyway, to MrFun for demanding that we all be lemmings in the 2 party system.
              I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

Voting says you care. Not voting says you don't care.
                It's as simple as that, and I voted.
                Last edited by SlowwHand; December 13, 2006, 17:23.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

A few things

1. In our Canadian system, every vote can mean money for the party

2. Even in minority no win situations-- growing support shows up-- now that the Greens are no longer a below 1% party, people give them a bit more legitimacy and actually listen to them more-- New parties have to start somewhere and if no one ever voted for them because they "can't win" well new parties could go nowhere

3. I believe in democracy-- While that may be trite, I really believe it is my job to actually think about the candiadtes/parties and make a choice each time. Even if my choice loses that does not disssuade me

4. Oh and I am capable of tactical voting -- If I found a contending candidate offensive I would vote for my second or third choice among the rest if they were the best chance to win.

5. Lastly I believe in protest votes -- I will vote against a particular party. Perhaps my one vote won't register but when thousands of othersdo the same thing, politicians take note of the dissaticfaction
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I'm surprised no one (especially you, Ramo) has mentioned yet the district in Florida with 18,000 undervotes. The Republican "won" the seat by about 300 votes there, but still 18,000 ballots showed no choice for any candidate in that race. It's still being looked at and may be challenged.
                    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

I doubt it. The challenge isn't going anywhere in the Courts, and one more seat isn't worth all the **** that would happen if Pelosi forces a new election.
                      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                      -Bokonon

Comment

But 18,000 just *poof* into the ether? I have to wonder if the general public would be a bit more understanding and accepting of the need for a new election.
                        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                          I voted Independent for governor.
                          Did Kinky win?
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

No, Governor Goodhair is now longest reigning monarch in Texas history, having taken over for Bush in mid-term.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                            X