No announcement yet.

The 2006 Election Season is Over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe we should go back to Whigs and Tories?
    The Tories are British. The Whigs ran against Democrats.
    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
    -Bokonon

Comment

Whigs ran against Tories too, at least in Britain. Maybe Sloww was suggesting no more Home Rule.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

The Tories were in support of continued Brit influence. JEEZ!
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
          independent voting = delusional behavior

independent voting = voting for someone rather than against

No one should discourage independent voting
          I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

You tell him, Wycoff, by God.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Lots of votes for Independents/3rd party candidates are protest votes. I know, I've cast a few.

If you really are thinking of "voting FOR someone" though, don't let the old "you're wasting your vote" bull**** stop you.

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Slowwy is probably crying like a baby.
                Texans don't cry when they're upset.

They drink!
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Damn right.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo

The two prominent non-major party candidates for Governor, Kinky Friedman (getting about 10% - Sloww's candidate) and Carole Strayhorn (about 20%) didn't run under any party. They were listed as Independents.

Technically, Joementum wasn't an Independent. He ran as a member of the Connecticut for Lieberman Party.
                    I stand corrected. Still, i dont think Joe expected Conn for Lieberman to survive as an organization or ballot line in the way that the NYS Liberals, Conservatives, and RtoLers have, or the way many state Libertarian parties have.
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

I stand corrected. Still, i dont think Joe expected Conn for Lieberman to survive as an organization or ballot line in the way that the NYS Liberals, Conservatives, and RtoLers have, or the way many state Libertarian parties have.
                      Apparently, one of Lamont's bloggers is the only current member of the Connecticut for Lieberman party, and is trying to organize a convention and a platform.

As for NY, the success of third parties in NY is that candidates can run under multiple parties. For instance, the Conservative Party and the GOP usually run the same candidate, same as the Democrats and the Working Family Party. Hence, when a party like the Conservatives decides to run its own candidate, it is more significant, and they have a base of voters who are more likely to support them.
                      "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Wycoff

independent voting = voting for someone rather than against

No one should discourage independent voting

Why would independent voters vote for candidates, knowing there is little chance they will win (except in a few cases)?

It's throwing your vote away.

I forgot -- you value principle to such an unrealistic level that you throw pragmatism to the wind.
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Why would independent voters vote for candidates, knowing there is little chance they will win (except in a few cases)?

It's throwing your vote away.

I forgot -- you value principle to such an unrealistic level that you throw pragmatism to the wind.
                          Problem is, the same argument could be used for voting at all. The odds are so heavily against your vote deciding the election, that what's the point?
                          "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

[q=MrFun]Why would independent voters vote for candidates, knowing there is little chance they will win [/q]

Um... because they agree with them the most? Silly me, I though Democracy was about voting for the person who has the closest views to yours. Hell, why vote anyway... just have the two headed monster decide everything.
                            Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; December 13, 2006, 16:10.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Your vote is more likely to have an effect if you vote for a political party that meets as much of your principles as possible, but still capable of showing strong competition during elections.
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral

Apparently, one of Lamont's bloggers is the only current member of the Connecticut for Lieberman party, and is trying to organize a convention and a platform.

As for NY, the success of third parties in NY is that candidates can run under multiple parties. For instance, the Conservative Party and the GOP usually run the same candidate, same as the Democrats and the Working Family Party. Hence, when a party like the Conservatives decides to run its own candidate, it is more significant, and they have a base of voters who are more likely to support them.
                                In other states a candidate cant run under two ballot lines? I thought the causality was the reverse - NY made it easier for third parties to keep ballot lines (I presume cause the GOP New York Legislature wanted to help La Guardia against Tamany in NYC) and the third parties than had the incentive to fill the ballot lines, and support Dems and GOP (and indeed that was what the Lib party was founded to do - To put FDR and La Guardia on the same line) also that the NYS ballot encouraged party line voting. Note that the Cons party was founded to OPPOSE the GOP, to run James Buckley for Senate against a liberal Republican - after Buckley won and the GOP supported him, the patronage benefits of having a ballot line to trade were too hard to pass up. Mush as the Liberals stayed around even after Tamany fell, and the NY Dems were at least as "left" as the Liberals.
                                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
                                X