X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woman bitten by spider loses 10 lbs. of skin

Doctor predicts it may take six months for full recovery from small nip

Updated: 8:13 p.m. MT Dec 11, 2006

HERMISTON, Ore. - A small spider bite turned out to be a big problem for Cindy Pettey. Pettey awoke when she was bitten on the stomach in the middle of the night a few weeks ago, but thought little else of it. Then she started running a fever, she felt achy and weak. The bite sore became larger.

Next thing Pettey knew, a doctor was telling her he believed she'd been bitten by a dangerous hobo spider.

Pettey had surgery that removed 10 pounds of skin and flesh, leaving her with an abdomen covered in stitches.

"It looks like I was bit in half by a shark," Pettey said.

Rob Hendrickson, a physician and director of the Oregon Poison Control Center, said the hobo is a non-aggressive spider that bites only when cornered. For example, when someone puts on a shoe with a spider inside.

The hobo is one of two dangerous spiders in Oregon. The other is the black widow. The brown recluse does not exist in Oregon, he said.

"In reality, most spiders are venomous, but aren't capable of penetrating human skin," Hendrickson said.

Hobo spider venom may cause necrosis, or death of the skin. When a spider injects venom below the skin, it reddens, swells, then turns black. But there is some doubt in the medical community about whether venom causes the skin death, Hendrickson said.

"If the venom can actually cause necrosis in humans," he said, "... then it is a very rare event."
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

"Hobo" spider
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

eccchhhh

I'm just glad we don't see those things around here.
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Don't count on it.

The Hobo Spider is one of the most dangerously venomous spiders in the United States. The Hobo’s "stronghold territory" ranges from extreme southern Alaska through southern B.C. and Alberta Canada to central and southern California, east into central Colorado. However, we have confirmed catches throughout the continental USA to the eastern seaboard and into all Gulf States, making the "Hobo Spider" a national pest.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

"Hobo Diet, 10 lbs quaranteened"
          I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
            Don't count on it.

http://spidertrap.com/hobo_spider_information.htm

I'm not saying they don't exist here. I am just saying we don't see them. The dry climate probably contributes to the fact that I have hardly seen any type of spider.

I do know where Oregon is and wouldn't think the spiders would respect either state or national borders
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
              "Hobo Diet, 10 lbs quaranteened"
              What word is that exactly? Guaranteed? Quarantined? I don't speak hobo
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Attached Files
                The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Very nice.

Comment

I couldn't find any decent pictures of the "hobo" stereotype. Another example of political correctness run amuck.

Comment

It's disgusting, isn't it?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                          I couldn't find any decent pictures of the "hobo" stereotype. Another example of political correctness run amuck.
                          pssh, you're just not trying hard enough.
                          Attached Files
                          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Working...
                          X