X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And they call us stupid

Monday, December 11, 2006
    Incoming House intelligence chief botches easy intel quiz
    WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Rep. Silvestre Reyes of Texas, who incoming House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has tapped to head the Intelligence Committee when the Democrats take over in January, failed a quiz of basic questions about al Qaeda and Hezbollah, two of the key terrorist organizations the intelligence community has focused on since the September 11, 2001 attacks.

When asked by CQ National Security Editor Jeff Stein whether al Qaeda is one or the other of the two major branches of Islam -- Sunni or Shiite -- Reyes answered "they are probably both," then ventured "Predominantly -- probably Shiite."

That is wrong. Al Qaeda was founded by Osama bin Laden as a Sunni organization and views Shiites as heretics.

Reyes could also not answer questions put by Stein about Hezbollah, a Shiite group on the U.S. list of terrorist organizations that is based in Southern Lebanon.

Stein's column about Reyes' answers was published on CQ's Web site Friday evening.

In an interview with CNN, Stein said he was "amazed" by Reyes' lack of what he considers basic information about two of the major terrorists organizations.

"If you're the baseball commissioner and you don't know the difference between the Yankees and the Red Sox, you don't know baseball," Stein said. "You're not going to have the respect of the people you work with."

http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Texas. Enough said.

Seriously - the US government is full of this sort of incompetance, regardless of party.

So, which do you prefer? The party that got us into the Iraq mess, or the party that, for the most part, meekly went along with it rather than be labeled unpatriotic?

What a great choice.

-Arrian
    Last edited by Arrian; December 12, 2006, 11:15.
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

And this prooves it. Americans are stupid.
      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
        And this prooves it. Americans are stupid.
        They can't spell either, apparently.
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

At least we don't have ****hook avatars.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

And this proves it. Americans are stupid.
            Each and every single solitary one.
            Unbelievable!

Comment

And this proves it. Americans are stupid.
              Corrected. Sorry. Given the context, I felt it necessary.

Edit: Boy was I late on the draw...
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Yep, USA is stupid, until someone wants something.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Incidently, I remember a story similar to this popping up not long ago. It wasn't about this particular guy, but rather about how many officials throughout the US intelligence community didn't know about basic distinctions like the Sunni/Shiite split, and how almost nobody working for the gummint can speak Arabic.

It's quite depressing, really. Here we've identified this threat and everybody thinks it's serious, and yet the people running the show (before and now) don't have a clue.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                    At least we don't have ****hook avatars.
                    Yea! Because THAT's what's important!

Spec.
                    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Yep, USA is stupid, until someone wants something.
                      Ummm....no. We never ask, you guys just show up when ever you want. You guys are like the annoying neighbor.

Spec.
                      -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Me, me, me. What can you give me, Stupid?

That's bull****. North Korea insists they need to talk with USA, and whine over sanctions.
                        Iraqi leaders, want us to stay another year.
                        Iran, thinks they should have aid.
                        Blows me away how these people think they're owed.

Comment

How about minding your own business for a change?

As a christmas gift maybe?

Spec.

Comment

Me, me, me. What can you give me, Stupid?

That's bull****. North Korea insists they need to talk with USA, and whine over sanctions.
                            Iraqi leaders, want us to stay another year.
                            Iran, thinks they should have aid.
                            Blows me away how these people think they're owed.
                            So that's what they said on FOX news? Fair and balance right?

Spec.

Comment

What? Fox News has nothing to do with what you seem to be quoting.

Who asks Canada for anything? Where's your frame of reference?

Comment

Working...
                              X