Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you prefer/like more Romance languages or Germanic languages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wycoff

Is that Yiddish?
    Its pseudo-German made up off the top of my head to show how close German and English are. Since I know hardly any German, undoubtedly a fair amount of Yiddish creeps into my attempts to write pseudogerman. However none of those words are of Hebrew or Slavic origin, so you can consider it a more purely German Yiddish - IIUC, Yiddish minus the Hebrew and slavic influences is basically archaic South (High?) German, not all that far from SwizDeutsch.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

It is a shame the french dont speak occitan, it is much easier to understand for spanish, italian speakers etc
      Some French do, but they arent' intelligible by other Frenchmen. The only occitan words I know are hildep*** which sounds a lot halfway between hidep*** (hi being a contraction of hijo) in spanish and fils de p*** in French...
      Anyhow, Italian sounds nicest to me.
      I'd like to point out that Romanian is another Romance language. I believe it's about as different from Italian or Spanish as French is, but I don't have any experience with it.
      I think English sounds good enough, Norwegian was quite ok too but Dutch, German and Alsacien all seem like they want to rip my ears off.
      Clash of Civilization team member
      (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
        Will is an example. The world exists in both german and english with the same spelling, but they have different meanings.
        Will is really a nice example. It is indeed based on the same word.

the noun 'will' is 'Wille' in German - as in: it is my will that you do this / Es ist mein Wille, daß du dies tust.

german 'er will' translates to 'he wants to'
        the english 'he will do' for forming future tense, is perfectly intelligible if you understand it as 'he wants to do'

There are indeed differences in the meaning, but the connection is still visible.

(and most northern German dialects indeed say 'he' in German pronounciation instead of 'er')
        Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

Working...
        X