Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you prefer/like more Romance languages or Germanic languages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is no .....BAH!....is there a Greek synonym for 'Escape'?!!
    "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
    "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
    "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

SLAVIC!!!

We are the biggest language group in Europe! The future belongs to US!

It is widely believed in Poland that german language is the most ugly, while french (and russian) are nice

Germanic languages
      English can be nice, but only if a non-native speaker is using it. When a British guy / American speaks english, it's a disaster. Not to mention the horrors of Australia, New Zealand and last but not least, Canada.

German - for me it is funny, so crude and beer-tavern like
      No offense, germans have wonderful music... but it is not a coincidence that mostly classical, instrumental one.

Scandinavian languages sound nicer than german, but I haven't heard them enough. Dutch... being in Netherlands a couple of times, except for Mercator I only spoke to people of african/middleeastern descent, so I can't really tell

Romanic languages seem nicer. Italian is nice, french is nice, spanish is nice. But who knows, perhaps Aromanian dialects from southern Albania are ugly as hell, while eastern Frisian is a beautiful language...
      "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
      I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
      Middle East!

Comment

I'm gonna have to go with Spanish because, as a gay man, I can relate to having things jammed on up there. [/joke]

That picture is great; always enjoyable seeing matadors and their spectators getting gored, even killed, by the animals they torture.
        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker
          There is no .....BAH!....is there a Greek synonym for 'Escape'?!!
          Maybe you could say

There is no way out!

That would be totally germanic methinks

But not exactly the same meaning

ps:
          Yeah, I forgot using is a romance word too (we say usar in spanish), employing is also romance, Is there a germanic english equivalent for that?
          I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson
            It is widely believed that Poland language is the most ugly, while french (and russian) are nice
            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson
              English can be nice, but only if a non-native speaker is using it. When a British guy / American speaks english, it's a disaster.
              Ah don' know, hunnie. If y'all git someone fr'm Ge'orgi'ah, speakin' with a nize sof' Southe'n accent, well then darlin', that's reeel nize.

On duh utter hand, if yuh get summun from duh Bronx in N'Yark, dere ain't no way dere's sounden anyt'hing but f'kin' stupit, y'know?

Comment

Originally posted by Adalbertus

The linguistic classification is based on the structure and "basic" words (see my previous post for a comparison), as well as on "laws" which trace historic development, and the existence of "intermediate" languages (in the case of German and English, these are Dutch and Plattdeutsch (lower Saxonian).
                The English language has absorbed a lot of Romance words, and mostly those with more "meaning". So you'll have less Romance words but they still compose a great deal of the content of a sentence.

As an example I'll split the sentence from above in their "Germanic" and "Romance" parts, keeping the proper names:

English: On the other hand, about half of the English vocabulary is Romance.
                (I'm not sure about the words 'about' and 'of', but I'd guess both are of Germanic origin)
                Germanic part: On the other hand, half the English is Romance
                Romance part: English vocabulary Romance

This is perhaps a bit too Germanic, so try another one:

English: The English language has absorbed a lot of Romance words
                Germanic: The English has a lot Romance words
                Romance: English language absorbed Romance
                (I guess the word "lot" in French is of Germanic origin, it fits well to "Los" in German, where t->s is a transition which happened in standard German and the southern dialects after German and English split. There is no similar word in Latin.)
                English orriginally began as 1/2 german, 1/4 latin, and 1/4 celtic. So we were screwed from the start. Then the Danes invaded and screwed us up evan more. Then the Normans invaded and screwed even more (it's just what Frenchies do). So I'd English is about 60% Germanic, 30% Romanic, and 10% Celtic since I don't know where to put celtic.
                USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
                The video may avatar is from

Comment

Originally posted by Deity Dude
                  English is a combination of Romance and Germanic - so therefore I vote none of the above.

I know that linguistics do not classify it that way - but English shares about as many words or roots of origins with Romance Languages as Germanic. I also say this because my friends who only speak English can better understand if someone is speaking Spanish as opposed to German.

I speak English fluently and Spanish as a semi-fluent 2nd language. I can not figure out a word of German yet I can usually figure out what someone is saying if they speak Italian or Portuguese or even French to a limited degree.
                  I agree with this and is why I voted for romance languages. I'm a native English speaker and German (or Dutch or whatever) all sounds Greek to me.

Whereas with only a limited understanding of Spanish (a few classes in high school) I have a much better grasp of French, Italian, etc. Though I think most of the stuff I learned in school I lost, and most of my familiarity with romance languages is from the shared vocab.
                  Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP

I agree with this and is why I voted for romance languages. I'm a native English speaker and German (or Dutch or whatever) all sounds Greek to me.
                    '

Diese ist selig. It nichst Grechen auf mir. Und ich nicsht lernen die deutsch. ja?

Mais bien sur, le francais est plus facile pour mois, mais la cause etait le bon enseignement en les ecoles publique de New York. Aussi, je ne rencontre jamais un personne de bronx qui parle comme zkribller dit.
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

This is selig (bud?). It isn't Grechen or (of?) mir (no idea). And I'm not learning Dutch. Yea?

Much better sur (?), French is very easy for me, because I had a good class in New York public school. Also, I don't remember the name of the person from Bronx that is called zkribller.
                      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

deutsch is german :P
                        I need a foot massage

Comment

This is selig (bud?). It isn't Grechen or (of?) mir (no idea). And I'm not learning Dutch. Yea?

This is silly (probably wrong, I think selig is actually "happy") It isnt Greek to me. And ive never learned (well, actually, "im dont learn" I think) German. Yes?

But yes, youre right, its not friggin obvious looking at a German sentence what EVERY word is in English. But you know what, thats true among the romance languages as well. Im biased though, as the only romance language im halfway decent at is French. It seems if you know Spanish, Italians pretty easy and visa versa, and maybe to a lesser extent Portugese. But French is different, and knowing French, while it makes learning Spanish easier, really doesnt make it THAT much easier than knowing English makes learning German, (or, I think, Dutch or Scandinavian)
                          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Much better sur (?), French is very easy for me, because I had a good class in New York public school. Also, I don't remember the name of the person from Bronx that is called zkribller.

but of course, French is easier for me, because there was the good teaching in New York public school (yup, messed up the easy plural) Also, I never met anyone from the Bronx who spoke as zkribbler says.

Cheesy hobbits.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                              Diese ist selig. It nichst Grechen auf mir. Und ich nicsht lernen die deutsch. ja?
                              Du bist ein auslander
                              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

If you know spanish, you can understand italian and portuguese to a large degree, the mutual intelligibility is quite high
                                I need a foot massage

Comment

Working...
                                X