Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you prefer/like more Romance languages or Germanic languages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

English is a combination of Romance and Germanic - so therefore I vote none of the above.

I know that linguistics do not classify it that way - but English shares about as many words or roots of origins with Romance Languages as Germanic. I also say this because my friends who only speak English can better understand if someone is speaking Spanish as opposed to German.

I speak English fluently and Spanish as a semi-fluent 2nd language. I can not figure out a word of German yet I can usually figure out what someone is saying if they speak Italian or Portuguese or even French to a limited degree.
    Last edited by Deity Dude; December 12, 2006, 14:07.

Comment

Dravidian
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
        Dravidian
        There are 2 options in the poll for people like you

Anyway, I congratulate you for fighting indo-aryan opression!
        I need a foot massage

Comment

In that case, I vote banana sign language
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

Originally posted by Adalbertus
            Someone: "Hungarian sounds like Danish". Someone else: "Any unknown language sounds like Danish". How true!
            I disagree

Comment

Originally posted by Deity Dude
              I know that linguistics do not classify it that way - but English shares about as many words or roots of origins with Romance Languages as Germanic. I also say this because my friends who only speak English can better understand if someone is speaking Spanish as opposed to German.
              The linguistic classification is based on the structure and "basic" words (see my previous post for a comparison), as well as on "laws" which trace historic development, and the existence of "intermediate" languages (in the case of German and English, these are Dutch and Plattdeutsch (lower Saxonian).
              The English language has absorbed a lot of Romance words, and mostly those with more "meaning". So you'll have less Romance words but they still compose a great deal of the content of a sentence.

As an example I'll split the sentence from above in their "Germanic" and "Romance" parts, keeping the proper names:

English: On the other hand, about half of the English vocabulary is Romance.
              (I'm not sure about the words 'about' and 'of', but I'd guess both are of Germanic origin)
              Germanic part: On the other hand, half the English is Romance
              Romance part: English vocabulary Romance

This is perhaps a bit too Germanic, so try another one:

English: The English language has absorbed a lot of Romance words
              Germanic: The English has a lot Romance words
              Romance: English language absorbed Romance
              (I guess the word "lot" in French is of Germanic origin, it fits well to "Los" in German, where t->s is a transition which happened in standard German and the southern dialects after German and English split. There is no similar word in Latin.)
              Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

My prof once told me that Dutch is the closest modern language to English.

At the same time in history, Goth and Anglisc were quite similar.

Of course, I must vote for the Germanic languages because, as the actor portraying Mozart said in Amadeus, "German is the Language of Love" (or something).
                "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

I love German and I'm currently studying it. Italian and other romance languages can sink into the ocean for what I care
                  I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

I love Dutch. Especially Dutch football commentary, when the commentator gets excited. It gives me the urge to shout "Hey, commentator guy, take the hard-boiled egg out of your mouth first!"

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker
                      My prof once told me that Dutch is the closest modern language to English.
                      Are you sure he didn't mean Frisian as spoken in The Netherlands?

Comment

Probably. Whatever the Low Countries language (<--damned Frenchies!!) that has been least ****ed up by Frogs.

All day long I'm going to be going around hating myself for using Romance derived words!! Arrgg!
                        "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

All day long I'm going to be going around hating myself for using Romance derived words!! Arrgg!
                          Alcohol helps

Comment

Probably. Whatever the Low Countries language (<--damned Frenchies!!) that has been least ****ed up by Frogs.

Derive : Middle English deriven, to be derived from, from Old French deriver, from Latin derivare
                            I need a foot massage

Comment

Bastard!!

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride

Derive : Middle English deriven, to be derived from, from Old French deriver, from Latin derivare
                                American English helps here (I think German folks did do the work): ... words which stem from Latin.

It is hard job to get a sentence without using Romance words. But I guess nearly impossible without Germanic ones. Btw. "using" is also Romance.
                                Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

Working...
                                X