Fried foods, candy, gambling, pretty lights, and dead Greeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fried foods, candy, gambling, pretty lights, and dead Greeks

Coming up this week, a happy holiday to all.

"In the days of the Hasmonean Mattathias, son of Johanan the high priest, and his sons, when the iniquitous Greco-Syrian kingdom rose up against Your people Israel, to make them forget Your Torah and to turn them away from the ordinances of Your will, then You in your abundant mercy rose up for them in the time of their trouble, pled their cause, executed judgment, avenged their wrong, and delivered the strong into the hands of the weak, the many into the hands of few, the impure into the hands of the pure, the wicked into the hands of the righteous, and insolent ones into the hands of those occupied with Your Torah. Both unto Yourself did you make a great and holy name in Thy world, and unto Your people did You achieve a great deliverance and redemption. Whereupon your children entered the sanctuary of Your house, cleansed Your temple, purified Your sanctuary, kindled lights in Your holy courts, and appointed these eight days of Hanukkah in order to give thanks and praises unto Your holy name. "
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

I study dead Greeks
    I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Fried foods, candy, gambling, pretty lights, and dead Greeks

I like all those things.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Happy Hanukkah!
        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I see lots of dead greek on my screen now,
          as playing the romans I just defeated Pyrrhus` army in Rome Total war (with RTR PE-Mod)
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Ughh...most of the historical battles in RTW were pretty easy....but I kept getting my ass kicked as the Romans in the Battle of Cynoscephelae.

Usually legions vs Macedonian phalanxes is fairly simple: Legions turn faster and can flank them in the open.

But in Cynoscephelae the phalanx is all lined up on the top of a ridge, with a steep mountain on one side and a steep hill in the middle with some peltasts around. Their cavalry is better than your cavalry.

So first I tried to do what the advice thing suggests and defeat their little support force in the right valley first, then return and try to cross the hill and hit the big mob from the side or rear. Lost many times, their cavalry just destroyed my triarii and hastatii, and their peltasts killed my elephants, etc.

So then I tried withdrawing and combining my forces. The damn Greeks will not come down off their mountain, they will just send harrassing peltasts and their crappy mercenary cavalry.

Finally, I got them by just sending everyone, regardless of losses or whatever, right to the hill in the center. Attacking uphill the Macedonians are useless, their cavalry got killed by elephants and one Triarii was able to kill three Macedonian phalanx before they broke. I used my general's bodyguard just for rallying and pursueing fleeing peltasts.
            "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
            "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
            "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Thought this thread was about las Vegas...

Spec.
              -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

I thought this thread was about stuff we should ban.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                X