Is It Possible...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is It Possible...

...to know the exact number of atoms in a given volume of something?

My friends and I, who are rather science-inclined but by no means experts in any field, were discussing this last night. We were trying to propose some sort of experiment by which you could accurately measure the exact number of atoms in an object of some sort. Not by counting them, of course, but by deriving them through perfect knowledge of density, volume, etc.

They had ideas like... taking a container made of some non-reactive material (someone suggested gold, I think), with a given mass and volume, pouring water into the container, sealing the container in some perfect way, and then trying to figure out how many molecules (hm. oh. it was two in the morning. it seems we forgot the fact that water is not an atom. anyways. number of hydrogen and oxygen atoms, then.) of water were contained in the... uh... container.

Eventually this discussion got very speculative and rather illogical (two in the morning!) and my brother seemed to think quantum physics would prevent such a measurement from ever being exactly right.

At this point I kind of stopped participating in the discussion and resolved to come to 'Poly to ask the likes of JM, KH, and other people that actually are scientists in real life.

So.

Is it possible to know how many atoms are contained in a given volume of stuff?

And if so, how would one construct an experiment to figure out that quantity?

/me braces for ridicule and laughter.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Yes, you use avocado's number.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

It has more to do with... is there a way, using Avogadro's number, that you could setup an experiment so tightly as to get the exact number of atoms. Can you control an environment so much that you can figure out the exact weight and density of an object. Not an approximate number with a bunch of zeros on the end.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

You would want a noble gas to minimize chemical reactions. But There will be interactions with cosmic particles/etc. Even if you put it deep in the ground. Also, every nucleus has a non-infinite half life. I would think that you couldn't know exactly how many atoms/etc there is. You could get a statistical answer, but I wouldn't find it interesting.

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
        X