Pics of where you live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Oh stop that... I know that isn't true, because look at these pictures of Lahore in Pakistan (which isn't known for being cleaner) off wikipedia:

I'm sure there are plenty of pictures of great beauty in the Indian city you live near.
    I live in a historic Indian city, Pune. And there is nothing comparable here. There are no great monuments here, and all the small monuments are in ruins. I know because I've seen them. Even the architecture of the Marathas is gone with them.

I've been all over the city, and trust me, there is nothing here as good as anything in the photos. Nor is there anywhere else in India. Only Lutyens' Delhi comes close, and that was built by the British. We have nothing of our own.

The Wikipedia page has nothing, either. I just checked. I'll show you the two images I found on the Wiki.

The first could be any building anywhere, it's not really significant:

The second is the gate of a ruined old fort:

As I told you, there is nothing here.

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
      I'm sorry, but there is no beauty to match the posted pictures here in India. We are a dirty country. Whatever I can conceivably post will look pathetic in this thread.
      Can't you just post the picture of a curry dish?
      I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

I liked the first picture... that's a nice building
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I liked the first picture... that's a nice building
          Point is, it's insignificant. It could be anything, and was most probably built by the British anyway. We have nothing we built ourselves.

Comment

Oh jesus . So what if it was built by the British? Obviously they needed Indian labor to construct it.. it is still a pic of where you live. And since when are most of these pics of significant things?
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
              Fargo
              As always, Fargo is the nicest entry.
              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Oh jesus . So what if it was built by the British? Obviously they needed Indian labor to construct it.. it is still a pic of where you live. And since when are most of these pics of significant things?
                I'm not saying it was a bad thing that the British built it, I'm just saying that there is no great architecture we have to call our own, at least in my city.

Delhi has some good Persian architecture, but it looks like the pathetic imitation it was when you compare it with the Isfahan of Shah Abbas. The south has a few good temples, but they are not properly maintained, because of governmental interference, and their surroundings are horrendously dirty, and usually so are the temples themselves (I've seen them myself, I've visited Madurai - the temple surroundings stank, and the temple itself was very dirty). What else is there? Nothing.

And the pictures here are like a dream for someone like me, not reality, because I've never seen anything that big or that clean (except in pictures). They're like a painful reminder of how backwards and filthy we are. The lives of Indians are spent in filth. You realise that only when you look at stuff like that which is posted in this thread.

It's only now that I've realised that these photos show a part of daily life, not a glorified picture, and it's only now that I realise what we here in India are totally pathetic.

Comment

And how do you reconcile that with, say, the pictures of Lahore I put up?

Comment

And how do you reconcile that with, say, the pictures of Lahore I put up?
                    I don't know. Maybe Pakistan manages its significant places better than India? Or maybe we are taking isolated examples, and not considering the big picture? I'm more interested in the general beauty of cities as seen from the sky rather than just the individual big buildings. You can find big buildings anywhere.

In Delhi, you can find lots of monuments which were imitations of Persian architecture. They are quite well-maintained. Doesn't mean that Delhi isn't dirty, does it? It's all filthy for people actually living there. Nobody lives in monuments.

Comment

I see pictures of neat rows of picturesque houses, all clean, and there are no heaps of rotting garbage on the side of any road, and in general the place is clean, and there are no tin huts or people living by the roadside, and that's when I see my own surroundings for what they really are.

Comment

Viña del Mar, the Garden City.

Shot over Viña del Mar north district.

Moai at the Fonck Museum.

The Vergara Dock. Promenade and restaurants site.

The Vergara Dock on the back and part of Valparaíso's hills.

Castle Brunet

Great Arts Museum at Quinta Vergara's Garden.

The Dunes Field

Wulff Castle.
                        >>> El cine se lee en dvdplay <<<

Comment

We need pics of Montreal up here!

Comment

Montréal
                            bleh

Comment

don't bother coming to Woodland, CA

just flat and plain

and we will make sure how to find us
                              Attached Files
                              anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

I much prefer pictures like Dauphins, or street level pictures to give an idea about an area, instead of pictures of single examples of expensive monuments. But I couldnt find any pictures I liked

Some pictures from my London suburb in Surrey

Hampton court palace (1)

Richmond park (2)

Greater London with Hampton court and Richmond park marked respectively.

Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Working...
                                X