London Had A Tornado Today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London Had A Tornado Today?

I'm a little surprised no one has posted about it.

Last Updated: 07/12/2006 17:20
    Tornado injures six in London

A tornado ripped roofs off homes and tore down walls in a residential area of northwest London today, injuring six people.

Television footage showed a trail of destruction in Kensal Rise, with trees uprooted and cars damaged by falling debris.

Hundreds of people have been displaced from their homes.

Tornadoes in Britain are normally weak and rarely cause damage. Local resident Daniel Bidgood was in his house when the tornado, which he said was about 20 metres across, smashed his windows.

"It was very large and certainly very powerful," he told BBC television.

"You could see it ripping up heavy chunks of mortar and smashing it into cars." One man in his 50's was taken to hospital with head injuries.

Five other adults were treated for shock and minor injuries after the tornado struck at around 11am.

Around 100 houses were damaged, a Fire Brigade spokesman said, "so I would imagine several hundred people may be displaced".

Some of those evacuated were being housed in local churches. More than 20 fire engines were sent to the scene and the area was cordoned off.

The London tornado was rated at T4 on a scale of 0 to 10. This means winds were moving at between 115 and 136 mph, rating the tornado as severe, said a spokesman for the Meteorological Office.

Britain experiences between 30 and 40 tornadoes in an average year, he said, but they rarely hit built-up areas.

The British Met Office issued severe weather warnings for southern England, with heavy rains and winds gusting up to 70 miles per hour, after the warmest autumn in the last 347 years.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Yes, it's true...one hit Abbey Wood as well, but no one noticed the difference
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

A little rough wind - who cares ?
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I've had a little rough wind for quite a few days now
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Have you ever been around one to see it?
          I spit in the eye of a lion. Mad dogs? BAH! A rampaging woman? HA!

A tornado gets my attention.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Wrong side of the city I am afraid...
            Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
              Have you ever been around one to see it?
              I spit in the eye of a lion. Mad dogs? BAH! A rampaging woman? HA!

A tornado gets my attention.
              Well, tornadoes here are rare and never get anyway near those monsters that you guys has to deal with. This one lasted for less than a minute so did very much less damage than a usual storm.
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                I've had a little rough wind for quite a few days now
                Guess that you prefer a tornado to a storm from east going straight up the river

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Tornado was like 'Wizard of Oz'

Thunder, lightning, skies turning black, being bombarded by bricks and feeling like they were in The Wizard of Oz... many people in north-west London were shocked to find themselves in the middle of a tornado on Thursday.

Kensal Rise residents spoke of being plunged into darkness, some saying it was so thick they thought they were trapped in smoke from a fire.

But seconds later the gloom lifted to reveal the damage.

"It literally was The Wizard of Oz," a shopkeeper, identified only as Amanda, said. ( )

"It was just sucking things up into it. There were tiles. There were bits of wood. There were trees."

'Shrieking'

Actress Maya Sendall said she was "absolutely shrieking with shock" on the telephone as the tornado neared her home.

She said: "It sounded like a train going by and it shook the house. I saw the rubbish bin going by and my hedge flattened by about two or three feet.

"I did not hear too much of the crashing because the sound of the wind was astonishing."

Student Julia Haughton, 22, who heard the tornado, said: "There was a thunder clap and it felt like the house was falling in on us. It was really frightening.

"My boyfriend ran out just as it had gone through our back yard and pulled down our neighbour's tree. When I came out, all the windows were smashed."

'Jetliner' sound

Local resident Daniel Bidgood told BBC London 94.9FM: "I was in my living room and I heard a big crack of lightning and thunder, then as I went to the window I heard a sound which was like standing behind a jetliner.

"I could see a huge cloud rolling up the street, making this tremendous sound. I went to try to take a picture of it but a shower of debris smashed all the windows of my house."

Colin Brewer, who lives in nearby Trevelyan Gardens, saw "a swirl starting to form" and then "clumps of all sorts of things flying into the air".

He had seen trees collapse in the road and people being hit on the head by flying objects.

Kevin O'Leary, 56, said: "When the hailstones started coming down I told everyone to get in the lorry and as we were doing that I heard this great roar and almighty bang.

"Then we got bombarded with bricks and God knows what."

Frank Hewetson, a Greenpeace logistics coordinator, was buffeted by the tornado as he cycled near his home in Chevening Road.

He said: "The sky was dark, I heard a noise like a jet engine and then I saw this column of debris.

"There was debris flying around and I was lucky not to be hit.

"I work on climate change at Greenpeace and here was evidence of it on my own doorstep.

"Some people will say it's not climate change, but I don't think we've had too many twisters in Kensal Rise."
                  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                  Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                  One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Glad it's all relatively well.
                    I'm so traumatized by them that the sight of a mere dust devil sends me sobbing to an inner room.

Comment

I can understand that, it's just that they are pretty rare and pretty weak here. We don't have them no way near to your amount.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

There are dust devils in the summer here, actually in the farms around Eugene. I've thought of trying to catch one, run into it...
                        Long time member @ Apolyton
                        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

It hit five miles away from me - so it might as well have hit Florida.

No problemski. I hope none hit Camden.

Comment

"I work on climate change at Greenpeace and here was evidence of it on my own doorstep."

KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Britain gets Tornadoes every year...they're just usually really weak...
                              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Working...
                              X