Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ex-Smokers : Did you get fat when you gave up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MikeH

I used to smoke rollies too, depends on the brand I think...

If you've given up for nearly a week the hardest part if over should you decide to give up for good, or just continue not smoking for a while.

True. If you can spend a week without smoking, you can quit. I just didn't believe that, but when I tried, it worked...
    RIAA sucks
    The Optimistas
    I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
      The hardest part was out at a gig last night. I always used to light up when watching a band, and a few pints always accentuates the urge to smoke. I even know non-smokers who like the odd smoke when they're pissed. Good practice for the smoking ban though. Soon it won't be possible to smoke at a gig anyway.

I came through, though. It's nice to know that the first week is the hardest. I'd imagined it going on for ever.
      For me, the smoking-while-drinking thing was the main difficulty. That, and other things that I strongly associated with smoking (hanging out with certain people, for instance).

I have to say, the ban on smoking in bars did make quitting easier on me. If I was hanging out with people who were still smokers, they would at times vanish and come back smelling of smoke, but I wouldn't have to be right next to them while they smoked, which in the early going would've been really hard.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Gained about 10 pounds since I quit. I'm exercising more, but at the same time, I feel hungry a lot, something I never felt before.

On the plus side, I don't get hang overs like I used to. And I generally feel a lot better. So the 10 pounds is a minor problem considering the benefit.
        Golfing since 67

Comment

Is there anyone in GS that hasn't smoked?
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

good luck cort haus, I just dropped the habit too as Im not going drinking anywhere for the next week or so, and am on the bike for fitness for ice climbing in january.

If you managed to not smoke while out drinking in the first week then I commend your willpower if you can do that you can do anything, as long as you know where the danger zones are (as said before, its not ok to have 'just one' when drin king a month or so down the line)
            Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Working...
            X