Brilliant response to the sanctimonious Bono

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rah
    When Bono announced that every time he clapped a child in Africa died, someone from the audience told him to stop doing that.

Love snopes.
    As with many snopes proofs, this one doesn't actually prove that the event in question did not occur; it merely shows what is more likely to be true given the evidence at hand.

Always take the conclusions of snopes articles with a grain of salt, and always read past the STATUS: FALSE part.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

ACK!
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

As with many snopes proofs, this one doesn't actually prove that the event in question did not occur; it merely shows what is more likely to be true given the evidence at hand.
        Are you actually using an argument from ignorance here?
        "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
        "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
        Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

We really need this smilie:

and

And the snopes smilie.

ACK!
          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill3000
            Are you actually using an argument from ignorance here?
            No no. It would be stupid to say that the event did occur just because it cannot be proven that it did not.

I'm merely pointing out that snopes articles aren't the end-all-be-all of a debate, and that if someone else can provide real evidence that the event in question did occur, that evidence shouldn't be ignored just because snopes said it didn't happen.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

A good point, but when it's passed around on the internet there's always that assumption that it is true. Snopes is a good balance to this and at least challanges you not to believe some of these things blindly.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Also a good point.

Now what do we fight about?

Comment

How skeptical one should be about urban legends, and whether or not it is a good idea to think that an urban legend is false until shown true through empirical evidence?

(This isn't necessarily a property of the internet)
                  "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                  "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                  Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

I think reasonability should be a guiding factor.
                    If it sound possible, I'm more likely to believe it until proven false.
                    If it sounds tricked, I'm more likely to believe it's not true until proven otherwise.

I do like to check snopes because when they list different version you can get a feel for how it evolved.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I am, sometimes unfortunately, very naturally skeptical. My general opinion on urban legends is that if I've seen no proof that something is true then it doesn't do me any good to have an opinion one way or the other. I don't factor the urban legend into my thinking whatsoever.

I also try to filter out things I want to believe. If I anaylze my thoughts, I know that there are certain things I believe to be true because I like the idea of them being true. They sound more "reasonable" to me because they adhere to whatever romantic image I have of a particular concept or person.

Whenever this sort of thing happens, I immediately go online to do some actual research. More often than not - and this is where the unfortunate part comes in - I end up shattering my idealistic notions about the past, about certain people, about whatever. But it's just the way I am.

Essentially, the more wedded people in general or I specifically appear to be to an urban legend of any sort, the more skeptical I am about its origins.

Comment

I think I heard Jimmy Carr, standup comedian do that bit, only with snapping of fingers.
                        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Yes, that reference is mentioned on snopes.
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                            A good point, but when it's passed around on the internet there's always that assumption that it is true.
                            My god, what planet are you from!?!?!?! (No offence, but it's against my entire experience of teh interweb)

Or maybe I give too much credit. Most people I know pass it on because it's funny, regardless of it's 'trueness' or validity.
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I would venture that you don't know "most people."

Consider, for example, how most viruses get to most people's computers.

Hmm... email from an address I don't recognize with a subject line not written in english and an attachment file with a .exe on the end. YES YES I MUST OPEN IT!

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                                When Bono announced that every time he clapped a child in Africa died, someone from the audience told him to stop doing that.

Love snopes.
                                party pooper with no sense of humor.

Comment

Working...
                                X