Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water still flowing on Mars!

NASA Images Suggest Water Still Flows in Brief Spurts on Mars

12.06.06 -- NASA photographs have revealed bright new deposits seen in two gullies on Mars that suggest water carried sediment through them sometime during the past seven years.

"These observations give the strongest evidence to date that water still flows occasionally on the surface of Mars," said Michael Meyer, lead scientist for NASA's Mars Exploration Program, Washington.

Like the Moon, Mars is a rich destination for scientific discovery and a driver of technologies that will enable humans to travel and explore far from Earth.

Briefings on Nasa tv at the moment.

Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Cool. This will be like the suburbs of the moon.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Cool

Who knows, maybe there are even still chances to find Microbes on the Mars
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Oh, bloody ****! I knew I forgot to turn that off.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Cant you do anything right?!

Spec.
          -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

And it's the damn dry season, too... You've just set back the terraforming efforts by couple of centuries. Way to go.
            I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

The bill this month is going to be terrible.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I wonder if that water has an iron taste to it.
                Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

What implications for humanity?
                  Long time member @ Apolyton
                  Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Well, of course there's water. It's a necessary ingredient for Marvin's instant Martian warrior army.
                    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Just what we need, more incontinent planets.

Seriously, this is a spectacular find - and it bodes well for the ever increased interest in further exploration.

Comment

Holy ****! That is GREAT!!!!
                        Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                        1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                          What implications for humanity?
                          Long-term manned missions to and eventual colonization of Mars are made somewhat easier if water, especially sub-surface liquid water, is available and accessible at lower latitudes and not just at the poles.
                          The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

What's gravity like on Mars?

Could it have just been falling rocks?
                            be free

Comment

If there's liquid water on Mars below the surface, what's keeping it in a liquid state?

It's my understanding that the Red Planet doesn't get very warm, even at the equator. Then you have to factor in the fact that there's very little atmospheric pressure because, well, there isn't much of an atmosphere, at least by Earth standards. Geologically, Mars is supposed to be dead — there are no active tectonic plates, no active volcanoes, probably no "marsquakes" and there's no magnetic field.

Yet there must be a heat reservoir somewhere below the surface keeping this water, assuming it's there, in liquid form. Or perhaps pressure is great enough at a certain depth to keep the water liquid?

Hmm. Well, at any rate, this is fascinating news. Perhaps the Red Planet isn't as geologically dead as some would believe.

Gatekeeper
                              "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Working...
                              X